Chapter 7 - Secrets and Ferris Wheels

---- Edited Version ----

____________________________________________________________________________

"Hi, how can I help you?” The cashier smiled, her eyes eagerly waiting for Zach and I to order.

                Zach glanced towards me, his eyebrows raised.

                I turned away from him, fixing my eyes to the cashier’s. “I’ll have a hot dog—”

                “Make that two hot dogs,” Zach quickly added.

                I bit down on my lip; I thought he had wanted me to order?

                “Anything to drink?” the cashier immediately questioned, her heavy fingers punching the keys on the cash register.

                Zach took a quick glimpse of me. “Two lemonades?”

                I nodded my head, an overwhelming grin creeping up my face. I loved lemonade, and the fact that he perfectly guessed that… was perfect. “That works.”

                The cashier disappeared behind the black curtain and I stood there patiently, trying my best to not let my eyes wander towards Zach again. I had been crying only minutes ago, but something about being near him felt right. It made me feel safe, like I was secure. Yet despite that, a sense of nervousness was lurking through my body. I let out a sigh; although I wanted to, that emotion wasn’t one that I could explore right now.

                “Here you go,” the cashier said, startling me. She handed us each a hot dog and drink filled with lemonade, her eyes quick to tenderly examine Zach.

                I could feel myself instantly get a little annoyed—for a reason that I couldn’t comprehend—as she passed him a very flirtatious look.

                Zach smiled politely, “Thank you, Susan.”

                She giggled. “Of course!”

                Susan? While making my way out of line, I felt my head instantly shoot back around to read the cashier’s name tag. As I turned my head back around, I furrowed my eyebrows wondering for a second, who reads the name tag of a cashier? Well, I guess that’s a pretty gentlemen-like thing to do.

                “Why don’t you take a seat over here,” Zach suddenly motioned, his arm signaling towards the round table positioned towards the edge of the bunch.

                Obeying him, I quickly sat down, my hand reaching to push away the hair that the wind had swept over my face.

                “I’ll go get some ketchup.”

                I brought myself to look at him, our eyes meeting for nearly a fraction of a second before I anxiously smiled and looked away.

***

                The bench let out a small squeak as Zach placed himself in the seat next to me. I was a little shocked—it only seemed right for a guy like him to take the seat across from a girl. But I guess I liked it; it felt more intimate—although this isn’t in any way supposed to be an intimate occasion.

                “What are you so lost in thought about?”

                I shifted my gaze towards him, my head shaking. “Nothing, I was just thinking.”

                “I think you’re worrying yourself more than you’re thinking,” he passed me a skeptical look.

                A confused expression drew onto my face.