Chapter 12 - "Sunshine"

----Edited Version----

____________________________________________________________________________

“Answer me, Jess,” Uncle Jesse demanded, his voice stern. “Why were you with Zach?”

                “I-I just…,” my words trailed off. What should I say—what could I say? If I tell him that I know, things are going to fall apart. But if I don’t, everything is just going to backfire on me.

                “Did you not hear anything I said the other day? He’s not safe, Jess!” he roared, while grabbing onto both my shoulders and squeezing them tightly.

                I tried to pull away, but his grip was too tight and forceful. Why was he so angry? What gave him the right to be so angry? If anything, I should be the one blowing up right now. But still, seeing my uncle this angry was unnerving.  “L-let go of me,” I quivered.

                “Jess, you really need to start respecting your Uncle more,” a familiar voice snapped.

                Immediately, I diverted my gaze to Vanessa who had approached us from behind. I narrowed my eyes. “What are you doing here—”

                “That doesn’t matter,” Uncle Jesse said, cutting me off with his angry tone. “Jess, you have to start following my rules.”

                “He’s right, Jess. Zach isn’t safe, and I’m sure you know that,” Vanessa added.

                I cringed at her disgusting and superficial motherly tone. My jaw tightened as I examined her face, an evil smirk etched across it. How could this woman barge into my life like this? And on top of it she has the nerve stand here—right in front of me—and act like nothing happened? She stepped behind Uncle Jesse.

                “Oh, and I wonder how you knew that,” I sneered. I glared at her, watching as her smirk faltered slightly.

                “JESS!” Uncle Jesse yelled, “You can’t talk to Vanessa like that! She’s my girlfriend. You need to respect her whether you like her not. Apologize!”  He tightened his grip on my shoulders.

                My mouth dropped as I stood there and stared at him in shock. Are you kidding me?

                “JESS, APOLOGIZE…right now!”

                Blood rushed through my body, heating me up intensely. Why on earth would I apologize to her? I bored my eyes at her, clenching my teeth again as her eyes fluttered mockingly, that annoying smirk back at full beam. “No,” I asserted.

                Uncle Jesse flinched in astonishment. Taking the chance, I ripped away from his grip and headed towards the staircase.

                “Jessica Hayes, you are not leaving until you apologize,” Uncle Jesse shouted behind me, grabbing my shoulder again.

                I zipped around, furious. “I am not apologizing to her.”

                “Yes, you are. Jess, your parents left me in charge so that means you have to abide by my rules!” Uncle Jesse yelled, practically in my face.

                I took in a deep breath and clenched my fists by my side. “I’m not going to let a drug dealer tell me what I can and can’t do.”

                Uncle Jesse’s expression dropped, his face losing color until finally it turned pale. My heart began to drop down to my stomach—seeing Uncle Jesse like this was petrifying. Even though I knew that Zach wasn’t lying, a little part of me wished that Uncle Jesse could prove him wrong—find the loophole. But obviously, from the look on his face, it was evident that this was the truth. Uncle Jesse is a drug dealer. Keeping back tears, I turned around and sped up the stairs, slamming my door hard, behind me.