Chapter 19 - Not Letting Go

My heart was pounding so fast against my chest, I was almost certain that it was going to burst. I braced myself, trying to contain my shivers as I made my way past the grungy playground. Central Park was fairly large, but most of the 800 acres of land was planted with grass, making it quite easy to spot if anyone else was around. For the most part, you could see in all directions and there weren’t any trees to hide behind.

                I took in a deep breath, scanning the soccer field carefully as I took a seat on the park bench. It creaked a little, making me wrap my arms around my torso protectively. I examined the attractive soccer players, who were packing up their dark blue duffle bags. Breathe, Jess.

                It was scary, very scary. I really had no idea of what Will was capable of, but according to what I’d seen, he’s a lot more badass than I had ever expected. What if he was going to do something crazy today? Okay, scratch that—Will was always doing something crazy. But, what if he tried to continue what he was doing to me the other night? And to top that, how would I know that Will would stay true to his word and stop hurting my friends? I don’t think I’ll ever stop worrying about that. And the fact that Vanessa and him have this extra interest in me must mean they want something out of me.

                I shook my head, burying it in my hands; what have I gotten myself into? Was this all even worth the risk? I inhaled sharply, lifting my head and looking back towards the field. I had to do this. I couldn’t back out now because one, I needed to see to the safety of my friends and Zach and two, Will would probably be here any minute.

                Loud footsteps escaped from behind me, causing me to jolt up off of the bench and spin around. The hairs on the back of my neck rose, paranoia striking me hard.

                “Jess?” a familiar voice addressed shockingly.

                I narrowed my eyes, trying to make out the large figure that stood a few feet in front of me. It was too dark for me to see anything, or in this case, anyone. “U-uh,” I stuttered, shuffling as the body moved closer towards me. Out of instinct, I found my feet pulling me backwards. This was Will, right? It had to be. He was the only one who knew… but why was he being so calm? I expected him to have thrown some snarly comment by now. And this body, now that it was approaching closer, was a lot leaner than Will. I squinted, trying to examine the hooded man inching towards me. “Will—” I gasped, the moonlight finally allowing my eyes to identify the defined characteristics of the body’s face. “Zach?” I questioned quietly in surprise. “W-what are you doing here?!”

                Zach brought his walking to a halt, slowly bringing an arm over to pull the hood off of his head. His ruffled chestnut hair hung above his angry, disappointed eyes as he stared at me with incredulity. “No, Jess,” his voice was stern, his teeth clenched tightly, “What are you doing here?”

                Crap, crap, crap. This is not good! What if Will showed up right now? He specifically said just you and me. What if he sees Zach here and gets really mad? Zach’s already injured; he doesn’t need to get into another fight! “Zach, please, just leave me alone,” I pleaded, my breathing getting heavier as I got more nervous. I don’t know what else I could have said to convince him to leave. There were too many things going on my head; I was too frazzled to think over my words.

                Zach shook his head hardheartedly, his lips pursing furiously. “Come on,” he ordered, holding out his arm for me to grip onto. “We’re leaving.”

                I dug my teeth into my lower lip while managing to shake my head. “I’m not leaving with you. I need to be here.”

                Zach’s expression grew colder. “Fine, then. I can wait,” he affirmed, raising his eyebrows.