= Chapter 21 =

Aspen shrugged the dragon hide book bag off her shoulder and into a nearby chair as she slumped down on the black leather couch, hoping that Draco would sit down next to her like they always did - but he didn't.

"C'mon Aspen, we don't want to be late." Vivid's usual cherry voice came from the hallway, who had her hair restored thankfully by Madame Pomfrey.

"Right, coming!" Aspen sighed, getting up and changing into a navy blue sweater and jeans.

"Wouldn't want to miss it would we?" She asked.

"No, we wouldn't. Besides, where's Lilli anyways?" Aspen added, suspicious on the disappearance of her friend, who wouldn't miss the second task for anything.

"I have no clue. Who knows, maybe she's already down at the lake." Vivid suggested.

"Yeah... maybe."

---------------

"Welcome to the second task!" Dumbledore's booming voice rang throughout the stands overlooking the Black Lake. "Last night, something was stolen from each of ou champions. A treasure of sorts. These four treasures, one for each of our champions, now lie on the bottom of the Black Lake. In order to win, each champion must find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough. Except for this: they will have one hour to do so and one hour only. After that, they'll be on their own."

Vivid bit her lip nervously, waiting in anticipation as she watched the four champions ready themselves. Aspen was still attempting to figure out where Lillian was... unless - no, that couldn't possibly be.

"You may begin at the sound of the cann-" A large blast from Mr. Filch attending the cannon signaled the champions to dive into the water.

---------------

Cedric struggled against the current, fighting the effects of the Black Lake by swimming under until we could spot the underwater ruins. His eyes searched around for his "treasure".

"Lillian?" He mumbled under the protective air bubble that surrounded his mouth, enabling him to breathe.

Lillian floated unconsciously, swaying in the lake's current. Her ankle was tied down at the seabed to keep her from drifting and somehow wasn't drowning. Cedric swam to the bottom where her ankle was tied, knife in his mouth. He began to saw away at the thin rope and eventually undid it, passing the knife to Harry, who'd just recently arrived.

"I've got you." He mumbled again, swimming to the surface of the water as he carried the light Slytherin girl on his back.

Cheers praised them as they broke for air, Lillian had now gained full consciousness and was spurting out water to her side. She smiled at everyone around, only to be faltered by a sudden splash next to her - an unexpected splash.

---------------

"How could you've told him!" Ember shouted at Aspen, who immediately backed away, all eyes on her. "It was your fault! You exposed my secret to everyone!"

"I- I didn't k-know." Aspen stammered, continuing to back up.

"Flipendo!" Ember whispered, flicking her wand and sending Aspen tumbling over the rail.

Aspen's hip painfully hit the railing - as if the shard cuts from the Great Hall weren't enough. The rest seemed to go in slow motion. She attempted to grasp at the railing, and at Vivid, who tried to catch her, but she was already falling too freely. She collided with the water - hard. Making her consciousness slip away as she began to drift to the bottom of the ocean.

---------------

"Aspen!" Lillian screamed, diving under the water, only to be followed by Cedric.

He motioned for her to swim back up to the surface - probably for the right reason too - Lillian was much weaker than him and probably couldn't carry Thistle, her pygmy puff, back to shore - let alone Aspen. Cedric's muscular arms wrapped around Aspen's waist, dragging her back up to the platforms - still no consciousness.

"No, no, no. C'mon Aspen." Lillian whispered, leaning to check her friends heartbeat.

"Step aside." Cedric said frantically, knowing to give her some space.

Eventually, Aspen began to cough and sputter, in which Lillian helped her sit up. Aspen clutched her hip, which had a large gash on it from the railing.

"Here." Lillian passed a towel to Aspen, who took it gratefully.

"Are you okay?" Cedric asked, smiling weakly at her as she nodded.

"Yeah, I will be. Thanks for saving me anyways."

"No problem-"

"You know, I was going to do it - but..." Lillian started, but just ended up giggling as Aspen knew what the 'but...' meant.

"Hey Lillian, who gave you this towel?" Aspen asked as her smiled faded.

"Uhm... I don't know; it was just lying here. Why? Does it matter?" Lillian responded.

"No - just... it seems familiar, but I can't place it." Aspen said, bringing a corner of the towel up to her nose to smell it.

'Mint... mahogany... green apples - wait a minute.' Aspen thought, immedietly knowing why the towel seemed familiar - it was Draco's.

---------------

"Aspen! You must be freezing!" Dove exclaimed, grabbing a towel from a nearby rack and draped it over Aspen. "There you go."

"Thanks Dove." Aspen laughed flatly.

"Is something wrong?"

"No - no. Just... it was a scary situation." She shrugged.

"Yeah. That's understandable. Are you okay?"

"Define 'okay'."

Both girls giggled, then Dove's smile faded and her face turned serious.

"I heard about your little... squabble with Ember. I swear I would've been there, but nobody told me until the next day. Oh Aspen, I'm so sorry. Dove said sympathetically, wrapping her arms around the Slytherin.

"Thanks  That really means a lot." Aspen said fakely, her eyes clouding with potential tears which she quickly wiped away.

"Well, what a day, huh?"

"Yeah... such a day."