= Chapter 14 =

Aspen trudged through the wet road to Hogsmeade, chatting happily with Lillian and Vivid, their robes flying behind them as the wind increased. The snow drifted down hard as they reached the shop where everyone went to buy their dresses for the Yule Ball.

"Why hello dears, how can I help you today?" The clerk asked, rushing to their side.

"Just dresses is all thank you. We have everything else." Vivid spoke softly and with a warm smile.

"Of course!" The lady said, gesturing for them to follow her to the dress rack. "Right this way."

"W o w! These dresses are beautiful!" Lillian exclaimed as Aspen nodded, her eyes immediately searching for the perfect find. 

The majority of the dresses for sale were the colors that the Yule Ball were represented by: blue, white, silver, red, and green. Aspen's eyes started moving towards the green color when she was stopped by Lillian.

"Don't you even think about it, girl." Lillian scolded as she pushed Aspen towards the silver and blue dresses.

"But - but..." Aspen retorted, shocked. 

"No buts. You've got to at least try it on." Lillian's word was final as Aspen pulled out a silver dress with lace long sleeves and a flowing, silky bottom.

Aspen came out in the dress, which showed off her curves instantly, but something just didn't seem right. Lillian cocked her head to the side as Vivid shook hers.

"What?" Aspen asked.

"The bottom doesn't look right... hm." Vivid thought, tapping her chin. 

"I agree. The bottom is pretty stiff." Aspen squirmed.

"Maybe this one." Lillian said, handing Aspen a red, two piece with fancy, silver jewels on the top half.

Aspen came out, not exactly the happiest - but it fit perfectly. The frown on Vivid's face was enough to convince her that her friends didn't think highly of the dress at all.

"I'm getting a seriously strong gypsy vibe, same for you, Lillian?" Vivid said as Lillian nodded.

"Maybe this whole dance - dress - fancy thing isn't my - well, you know. Maybe it's just not for me." Aspen sighed, but then caught sight of something.

"Hey, what about that one?" Aspen pointed to a sleeveless, ombre dress that transitioned from a dark, almost navy blue to a whitish silver color.

"Well, would you look at that. Aspen, maybe this whole fancy thing is your - thing." Lillian smiled as she pulled the dress out, handing it to Aspen as she went back into the changing rooms.

"Whelp... I want honest opinions." Aspen sighed, performing her best twirl as the dress spun around her.

The two girls gaped, watching Aspen as the new color fit her nicely, making her eye color pop.

"I- Wow! Aspen, you look amazing!" Vivid said, almost speechless.

"I agree. That's definitely your dress." Lillian nodded as Aspen blushed.

"Hm. I feel like it's just missing something..." Aspen said, her eyes brightening as she took a navy blue faux fur shrug from a nearby rack, slipping it on over her shoulders.

"Much better." The dark blue of the shrug went perfectly with the dress's lovely ombre colors.

"Your turn Lillian." Aspen smiled devishly after she took off her dress, returning in her previous Slytherin robes and jumper.

"M-Me?" Lillian gulped as her friends shoved her forward towards the rack to being searching.

Lillian swept over the multiple dresses hanging from the single metal rod as she flipped through the lot, cursing over every dress' perks and deformities.