First Day On The Job

"Arms extended, chest out...Come on ladies! My grandma dances better than you! And she's 94! Give me some life!", Mira shouted.

The Blue Angels and I were sweating up a storm. Only 3 hours into practice and Mira's worked us to the point at which we all might pass out soon. I'd learned 4 different dances and songs that had to be performed tonight. It wasn't as much as the other girls, but I understand. I'm the newbie.

The girls are all so nice! Well.....except for 2 of them. Starla and Penelope.

They've been giving me nothing but dirty looks and talking about me behind my back since I've got here. Whatever, I don't really need their approval.

The other 3 girls are are so so so funny and a lot of fun to be around. Their names are Marley, Juliette, and Rhiannon.

Mira sighed, "Practice is over! Ya'll better be on time tonight! I know the big show isn't until tomorrow, but tonight is pretty important! The birthday boys father is paying quite a big amount of cash for tonights performance. We'll have a large amount of boys here! Make them want to come crawling back for more! I want you all doing your best! Absolutely NO screwups!"

I gulped quietly. All boys. Greaaaaaaat...

"Oh and Lennon I need to talk to you before you leave!", Mira yelled over to me.

I stomach twinged. Oh jeez, this is it. It's over already.

I sighed and walked over to Mira when the girls cleared out. Starla had the biggest smirk on her face.

"Is there something you needed to tell me, Mira?", I asked quietly.

"Nothing bad, Child! I just wanted to let you know that I plan on keeping you even after Tia comes back! You practiced well today! It'll be a joy to have you as a full time performer!"

"Oh my, really!?", I asked shocked, "I'm honored!"

"Yes, now run along and get some rest! You'll need it! These boys have been here before. Their pretty rowdy!", she said.

"Oh great", I said before picking up my bags and walking out the restaurant.

I heard her laughing as my old chucks tapped against the pavement. I headed down the street to the library. I'm studyin' to get my GED. There ain't no way I'll have a good life with only knowing what my momma teaches me. That's why ever since I turned 11 I've been always walking to the local library to learn.

I'm pretty smart I guess. I'm up to reading college level books now, so I can go for my GED whenever I have the time.

At about 3 o'clock I decided to head "home" to check on Hawk. When I got "home" I found Hawk sitting on the floor bawling.

I ran over and picked him up. "What's wrong lovebug?"

"Mom-mm-mma hit me!", he sobbed.

"What do you mean, lovebug? Why did she hit you?", I asked trying to keep my anger contained.

"I-I-I went into Momma and Dan's room and they were kwissing and stuff and I a-asked for some juice and den she told me to thop being tho needy and hit me", he cried.

I hugged him tightly and grabbed one of his bags and filled it with toys and clothing. This wasn't the first time Momma's hit Hawk and it ain't like she never hit me before either. But Hawk can't be livin' like this. I'm done.

I grabbed one of my bags too and filled it with clothes and toiletries. I grabbed my stack of money saved up from my past jobs from the inside of my boots and stuffed it in my bag. It's enough for a months rent of a small apartment. It'll hold me and Hawk off until I get some money coming in.