22

Astera's eyes were searching for something in his. His fingers remained hooked around hers, slightly pulling at them to make her stay. She saw how desperate, tired and lonely he was. He had locked himself in here, alone and cold, sweating and fuelling himself up with anger and tearing down with every tear that fell down his cheek.

He was like a house that used to be expensive, luxurious and bright. Now, he was that same house but turned to ash after a fire. His hair was messy from his hands and his knuckles were red and slightly bruised. Why didn't he heal them?

"What do you want from me?" she asked, a break in her voice, her features creasing as she looked up at him, wanting to see an expression or a shift in looks.

"Nothing, I just," Draco said desperately, his touch tightening himself around her, wishing he could be embraced by her once again, "I don't want to be alone."

She stayed quiet, her eyes watching his face and embracing every detail about him. From the healed scar on his temple to the hollow parts of his cheeks and dry lips. Astera gave in, taking her hand out of his. She moved past him, walking to the back of the room.

Draco curiously followed, like a small child following their parent in a big market, hoping they don't get lost. Astera reached her destination, showing him a slightly broken and very dusty piano. The bench was covered with a dark red material, probably to keep dust falling onto it directly.

She moved the material, dusting it away. Draco watched her curiously, watching her sit down and look up at him, tilting her head to show him to take a seat next to her. He did so, feeling his knee brush against hers. Astera's fingers ran across the keys, adjusting herself to the tone.

"What'd you want me to play?" she quietly asked, waiting for his response as her hands laid on her thighs.

Draco recalled some songs he liked, but he wasn't in the mood for any of them. He tried to think of some, replaying them in his head, "I don't know. Play whatever you'd like."

She nodded, raising her hands up and letting her fingers play on the keys. She played a little tune to warm herself up and switched to something else. Draco furrowed his brows, not knowing what he was hearing. His eyes followed her small fingers, watching them move swiftly and calmly.

Draco's head tilted towards her, his ears picking up the small and quiet noise of her voice as her tongue smoothly let the words come out of her. She let herself sing louder, still a bit quiet, but louder than before.

Her voice was like honey, or melted caramel. So smooth and sweet. Draco felt his body relax and his heart still. His breath was calm and coordinated, finally sounding more human. His ears listened to her carefully, letting his eyes travel down her jawline and her shoulders covered by her brown hair.

When her fingers stopped playing, the room no longer echoed with the hum of her voice or the play of her fingers. Draco felt the heaviness on his shoulders grow.

"Lilith..." he started, catching her attention, "I'm sorry about your parents."

She only stared back at him, gulping her saliva down her throat. Draco was anxious, not knowing whether he just made it all worse or maybe better. He waited for her response, watching her intently like a puppy. She felt his eyes on her once more, feeling the weight on her heart disappear.

Her lips curled up slightly, confusing him. She found his impatience and puppy- like eyes amusing.

"Thank you, Draco," she said, playing with the hem of her shirt, "You're not so bad after all."

Draco didn't notice the small smile in the corner of his lip growing, creasing his eyes and watching her return it.

"I'm sorry for being rude in the library." Astera said, recalling how mean she actually was.

"I deserved it."

"Maybe. But, I'm still sorry."

Draco's answer came out too quick, confusing her. Did he actually think so? She couldn't actually believe that Draco thought of himself that way. He was always full of himself, never once letting anyone tell him he's something less.

"Draco?"

"Mhm?" he hummed back, slowly spacing out.

"Can we... Maybe, start over?" she asked, a hopeful look in her eyes, giving Draco hope himself, "You know, as friends."

Friends, he repeated. Draco wasn't really friends with anyone, nor did he consider them friends. Crabbe and Goyle were merely his followers, letting him dictate them and obeying his every wish. Pansy wasn't much of a friend either.

"You..." he started, "You'd want that? After all I've done?" he asked in disbelief, fighting the urge to contradict her and make her question herself.

Astera nodded, not quite believing herself either, "Yes. After all."

This was her chance. Her chance to prove Hagrid wrong and teach Draco to cast his charm. She would win the challenge, she knew she would. But, along the way, she never calculated the wat she'd grow close and forget about her challenge.