21

"I'm not taking turns with you, Draco," she said, moving her body away from his and wrapping the coat around her body, "I don't owe you the truth and neither do you owe me it."

"It isn't about owing it," he said.

"Then?"

He kept quiet, lowering his head and watching his black shoes slowly sink in the white snow. Astera stared at him for a minute, waiting for him to speak as she eagerly wanted to leave.

She scoffed, "My parents are dead, Draco. Is that alright?"

He looked up, feeling a pinch in his chest. The thought of losing his mother became unbearable, almost sucking the air out his lungs. He wondered how she had been able to survive. She was an orphan. She was alone in this world and somehow kept on going. How could she?

"You didn't have to say it that way."

"How should I?" she asked, her voice breaking, "What, do you want me to lie?"

Draco realized what he had done, regretting his decision. He was well aware the subject was touchy, so why did he even try? Draco knew that if the roles were switched, he too would react the same way, maybe even worse.

"Please, just..." she took a breath, wiping a tear, "Not a word about this. To anyone."

He watched her leave quickly. That day, Draco saw Astera cry for the first time. Is this how she felt when she saw him crying? Useless, unhelpful and mean. Of course not. She was helpful and caring. She sat with him and talked about muggles and their beliefs. She hugged him when he broke down. She read to him when he couldn't sleep. She brought him food when he was hungry.

He was the useless one. Draco didn't know how to comfort someone. How could he? No one had ever comforted him, only told him to "man up".

His lips parted, letting a sigh come out of him as he stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked back into the school.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

Astera had spent the entire day locked up in the common room. Her hands worked tirelessly and her lips voiced out helpful spells. She made it a tradition to use her parent's birthday as a day to make presents for her fellow Ravenclaws to come back to.

Each box was wrapped and had a handmade bow on it. The presents had the look and representation of each student. She painted pictures for them, wrote poems, gave books and even knit hats and scarfs.

But why did she? Why did she waste her time on people who barely spoke to her?

Because she loved to give. Her parents taught her that giving is a much bigger gift than receiving. After learning that, she always gave them gifts. But, ever since their passing, she had no one to give to. She was left empty handed and felt useless. So, she turned her kindness to her fellow classmates.

It truly was the work of an angel.

Whilst Astera was doing her work, Draco was stuck in the Room of Requirement. He was sweating, angry and impatient. His head felt like a chain was around it, tightening itself with every failed attempt.

"I'm trying, I swear I'm doing the best I can," he said repeatedly, feeling defeated as Snape pushed him aside, making him stumble back into the piles of objects. Draco's face looked agonizing, something you'd see in a movie and immediately cry about. He was tired and restless, wishing he could just sleep and live like a normal teenager.

"Trying? You call this trying!" he flinched, the blood leaving his fingers and turning them blue and cold, "You're not doing anything, Draco! I see you and that little friend of yours! Do you think this is enough? Is this how you plan to prove yourself-"

"I got it!" he finally yelled, anger arising in his body, clenching his fists, "I got the mark."

His fingers lifted up his sleeve, uncovering a ripped up piece of material from an old shirt wrapped around the mark. It had red marks on it, showing Severus the damage Draco had done for himself.

As Draco unfolded the material, Snape remained unfazed even when he saw his scarred arm and bloodied skin. He grabbed his arm, looking at the mark as it was slightly faded in some parts but was still there. His dark eyes pierced through Draco's, giving him a headache on the side of his head.

He was trying to read his mind. Draco noticed, feeling the pain in his temple grow.

"Stop it," he said, blocking him out, "Stop!"

Draco pulled away, turning his face away from Severus and tying up the material around his wrist again, "How did you know?"

"You've been doing it ever since I stepped foot in this school. How could I not?" Draco said quietly, afraid of how his professor might react.

Snape remained quiet, nodding even though Draco couldn't see him. He straightened himself, adjusting his clothes and closing the door of the cabinet. He walked past Draco who was sat on the same chair from when he was here with Astera.

"Clean up after yourself, Draco," Snape said, making Draco look up, "So I don't have to take matters into my own hands."

The doors shut behind Snape, leaving Draco alone. He was desperate to talk to her, to hear her and listen to her. He wanted to see her even for a moment. Taking his wand, Draco pointed it at the door, silently wording out the spell. From the tip of his wand flew out a small gust of blue light, sort of like a small fairy. He watched it leave the walls.

The light traveled through the halls of Hogwarts, turning corners and going up stairs, pushing itself through the walls of the Ravenclaw common room. It placed itself in front of Astera, slightly booping her nose as she laid in front of the fire place, tired.

Her eyes opened, startled by the magical being. She sat up, her finger trying to catch it. The light ran from her, making her follow it. She rubbed her eyes, adjusting the collar of her shirt. She followed it throughout the school, slowing down and occasionally fastening her pace. When the light stopped at the empty wall, Astera simply stood with confusion laced in her eyes.

Her hand imprinted itself in the same place where the light had seeped through in, feeling the walls shake and reveal the doors. She walked in, feeling the cold gust of air. The light flickered in front of her before disappearing before her eyes.

"Lilith."

She jumped, turning her body to face a tired Draco, "You... You sent that thing, didn't you?"

He nodded, getting her to roll her eyes and turn her back, "I don't want to see you, Draco."

Her body turned to leave, but stopped when Draco's finger hooked through hers. She lowered her eyes, watching his hesitant hand as it slightly shook, signalling his need for her.

"Please..."