Natsu watched the two hug, a heavy frown on his face. He left for one day and now all this shit had gone down without him. 

"Lucy? What are the servants talking about? They said you attacked one of them, is that true?"

"They wouldn't leave me alone after I asked them to. Then one of them put her hands on me and I just snapped… I didn't mean to use my magic, I swear! I'm so sorry for causing any trouble…

She hid her face in Happy's fur, shaking with every heavy breath she took in. Natsu pulled them into his own warm embrace, trying to calm them. "Please don't be sorry, I'm not mad at you. The whole point of removing the collar was so you could protect yourself, and that's what you did. The servants have been giving you a hard time since you got here, so… it's okay, really."

Lucy nodded softly, relishing in the feeling of being with her boys. Her heart began to break when she started remembering what happened before she fell asleep, but Natsu interrupted her before she could start.

"Why were you seeing Silver, anyway?"

"I… I needed to vent to him about how sick I felt, I was hoping he could speak with the servants or help me find a remedy…" Natsu nodded, trusting her words. He knew he could always trust her.

"Natsu… you've heard the news, right?"

"...No, why? Is there something important going on?" She took in a deep breath. She'd been hoping that as the king, he'd already know, that way she wouldn't have to bring herself to say it.

"I'm… so scared… my father… he's looking for me… they've entered the demon kingdom… I'm so, so scared." She broke down in tears and Happy gasped, sharing a horrified look with Natsu. 

He didn't want to, but Natsu released his hold on them to sit up and run a hand down his face. "Shit… well… don't worry, Lucy. I promised you I wouldn't let 'em take you no matter what, and I meant it. It's gonna be okay… but it might get ugly. I'll take you to Alvarez, it's our closest ally. You'll be safe there while I deal with things here, okay? I'll make sure they check up on you, too…"

Lucy sighed, she didn't like this, but this was the best way to deal with things. She nodded, pulling Natsu down to join them in their hug again. His warmth soothed her, and she began to believe his words. They'll be okay.

"I love you…" She mumbled as she doze off, her body too worn out to stay awake any longer. Natsu felt his heart stop, he'd never imagined he would get to hear her say that. He looked down at her sleeping face, and he began to feel horrible for a whole new reason. He'd never allowed himself to love her because he didn't want to get each other too committed in case something took them away from one another. This was the worst time to get his hopes up, it was the big confrontation they'd been dreading since she revealed her true identity.

Happy didn't look at Natsu, simply staring at Lucy with an expression of pure sadness. In his mind, Natsu did not love her, and she was being led on and baring her heart to him for nothing.

Natsu knew it wasn't fair. It wasn't that he didn't love her, he'd just been in denial because he was afraid to. Hearing her say it changed something inside of him, though, and he found himself giving in.

He could let himself love her, even if it was just for tonight. There was a chance things wouldn't be okay, that he wouldn't be able to stay true to his words, and he'd lose her. He'd worry about that in the morning, though. For now, he was going to live in the moment while he had the chance.

"I love you too, Lucy."

~

Lucy walked out of the airships bathroom, exhausted from throwing up yet again. Natsu had been worried, and Lucy dreaded not being able to really tell him what was wrong. There was no confirmation that she was pregnant, and Natsu had a lot to worry about right now, so she decided she'd tell him once they had a good opportunity to sit and talk freely.