13. Don't let Icarus take flight.

Chapter 13: DON'T LET ICARUS TAKE FLIGHT

"...Nora."

I felt a breeze blow by softly. There was a tender touch on my skin, caressing my cheek gently.

"Nora."

What a sweet voice. I lifted my lids to see silver eyes gazing curiously into my own.

"Are you alright?"

Alair's fingers brushed across the top of my eyelids. "You fainted."

Ah... I moved my head and realized I was resting on Alair's lap. I winced and tried to get up quickly. "You..." It all came back to me like a block of concrete falling on my head and my eyes widened as I frantically looked around for the creature. "You just now!"

"Shh." He grinned at me, bringing a slender finger to his red lips. "Something incredible happened today."

I gaped at him. He was... today... I don't even know what to think. I quickly did a once over of myself and then Alair. I couldn't believe I was still alive after facing a god...

"Why did he let me be?" I asked him and he raised an eyebrow.

"So you already know who that was."

...Damn.

"You seem to know a lot of interesting things, my lady." He curved his lips.

"It's not like I want to know," I muttered and made to get up, and standing up himself, Alair held his hand out to me. I looked at his eyes before taking it. As soon as we stood up, the sounds of hooves stamping against the ground reached us. We both looked up to see a group of the estate's knights heading our way. I furrowed my brows. What's going on?

"My lady, Lord Villin," one of the knights dismounted and made a gesture of respect with his posture. "The marquess has sent us to retrieve you."

I frowned. Retrieve? "Why? Where is the marquess?"

In the short second it took for the knight to reply, I could already feel my heart begin the steps of a panic. Like something bad was about to happen. "The marquess has been called to the capital for a meeting with the emperor."

I felt a fearful pang in my chest. There it is. The emperor. Why the fuck had the emperor called my father?

"...Why?" My voice was low. I'd expected it to come out screechy but it was low and quiet.

"A sudden meeting for the three southern territories was called, my lady. I do not know anything else about it, but the marquess has left a message for my lady."

I didn't reply and watched him, waiting for him to continue.

"The marquess said that he is sorry he had to leave so suddenly; it couldn't be helped. He said that my lady may postpone the meeting today and he expects to be back soon."

...Fuck. The meeting. Shit, what do we do? I glanced at Alair who was beside me. He hadn't reacted to the news at all and looked back at me. I looked away and groaned. It took us this long to be able to get everyone important to a meeting. There had been all sorts of events so calling them seemed overbearing when we had to be convincing them with the conversation so we were patient. But now... I thought of the entire committee that had worked on this with me for the past tiresome while. Shit.

"Ugh!" I groaned out loud, stopping myself from kicking the ground. Then I turned towards Alair. "Please take me back to the estate, Lord Villin."

He didn't say a thing and got on Eura, and I reached towards him. He pulled me up, seating me between his legs and the knights got their horses on the road as well.