4. I'll go against this world for you.

Chapter 4: I'll go against this fucking world for you if I have to. Let everything burn. I'll protect you.

I sat across him on the couch. I couldn't bring myself to look at him; it was too intimidating, not only because of the fact that he was the main villain of the book world I was in... but also because of how unrealistically beautiful his face was. It took my breath away whenever I caught a glance of him. The colours that mixed together to paint his portrait were all so vivid and so... so fucking beautiful, one could only be left staring; mesmerized at the art they were looking into the eyes of. And those eyes...

Diamonds...

Those piercing silver eyes bore into me as he sat across me. I could see them in the reflection of the coffee table separating us. He was staring at me. My throat was parched and I nervously fidgeted, tapping my fingers on the soft surface of the seat I was in as I waited for my dad to finish talking to his aide already. My heart was slamming in my chest. This angel-demon was going to bear a hole in me if he watched me any longer with those diamond-like eyes of his.

"Lady Eleonora-"

I jumped, flinching as soon as he parted his lips to speak my name. This is what I was fearing: having to talk to him. But fortunately for me, my dad acted as my saviour.

"Lord Villin, it's great to see you up and about so soon. I apologize for keeping you waiting," My dad finally made his way to us and sat beside me, facing the boy with a brilliant smile.

"It's all thanks to your generous hospitality, Marquess. Please, just call me Alair." Poised and elegant, with a tinge of humbleness in his gorgeous smile, I could see him working his charm. And it was working.

In no time, dad and he were having a conversation like some close old friends who'd met after years. I didn't get involved and they didn't really mind as I sat there, making sure to keep my mouth filled with biscuits and cake so that they wouldn't talk to me. Apparently, Alair was on his way to Ilaria to look at the land for his business when he saw us getting attacked and stepped in. It ended up with him getting stabbed and having to be treated here while unconscious for quite a few days. Even now, he flinched when he laughed too hard or accidentally moved too much. My dad was concerned but I couldn't bring myself to care too much. It was good that Nora was known for not giving a damn about anyone except Cassian.

"It was brave of you in that moment, Alair. I am indebted to you. Please, stay here for as long as you like. You can continue to get treated, and you won't have to look for housing while working on your business."

I barely stopped myself from choking on a pastry.

"Are you sure, Marquess? That would help me beyond words."

No! Dad! Do you really think he helped you from the goodness of his heart?!

My eyes snapped towards the villain. He looked so touched and happy beyond belief at the offer of the marquess. He deserved it after risking his life to protect him after all.

Of course, I didn't believe any of it.

After they talked a little more and Alair took his leave to rest. As soon as the door shut, I turned towards my father with a sense of urgency.

"Dad, please," I spoke but was interrupted by the happy old man who felt he was able to repay part of his debt to the person who saved his life.

"What a charming boy, isn't he?" He said, almost looking like he was fangirling. "I haven't felt this good conversing with a stranger in years! He talks well."

I shook my head. "Yes, he's great and all but dad..." I made sure to look him in the eye as I continued. "Please don't trust him too much."

Immediately, a confused frown replaced the happy expression on his face and I felt a little sting at the thought that it had to be this way.