Chapter 3

THUMP

I sat in the back of an army pickup truck as we drove the last bit of our journey into the city.

(Back as in the cargo bed. If you dont know what that is look it up, it gives pretty good answers.)

I was still in my army uniform. I didn't want to take it off while I was leaving in case it was disrespectful, they never really told us.

I had a single box of item's. Mostly just toiletries and a few extra pair's of army uniforms.

There's a few other people in the back of the truck with me. Luckly Mia and Amelia were there with me.

We got some looks from people on the streets, some pointing while others just stared shocked.

The news hadn't gotten out about the war ending yet. Most people still thought we were on missions or in large battles.

All we really did on the way there was write down eachothers information on out arms with black pen.

Though we were all just cabin mate's, we all wanted to keep in touch. It's not like there's many other people you can talk about the war with and have them fully understand and know what it feels like.

I had seven people's numbers written on my forearm, covering most of my skin.

It was warm outside. It made me happy knowing the day I got back wasn't gloomy. It was almost a dream to be back in the city. As a kid I never really liked the city because of how loud it was. But now that I've experienced loud commands, gunshots, and explosions, they city almost felt eerily quiet. The only time's I got true silence was in the dead of night when I was supposed to be sleeping. So this was a nice change.

The carrier stopped infront of a few of the others houses leaving about five of us left, before it stopped at my house...

I'm home...

The paint on the outside was a bit dimmer then it was before. Probably water washed. It could have been I wasn't remembering it right. It had been 2 years since I had seen it.

The lights were on inside and I could see my mother walking around doing chores.

She looked slightly more aged either from time or stress. She still wore her red glasses that fit perfectly in with her character.

I picked up my box, hopping out of the pickup truck. Waving goodbye to my friends I turned back to the door.

Could I still just walk in? Did I haft to knock?

My arm seemed to move for me as it reached out and rang the doorbell, positioning the box to balance on the other hand before bringing it back.

Shuffling could be heard from inside followed by the sound of locks. And all too soon my mother opened the door.

"Hola mamá. Ha pasado mucho tiempo, ¿no?"

She covered her mouth with one hand, her eyes were whelming with tears.

We sat there for who know's how long just staring at eachother. It wasn't a surprise she was so shocked. I knew this would happen. I played this scenario at least a thousand times over in my head never imagining the same one twice.

I opened my arms looking up at her as my vision started to fog.

Within seconds she wrapped her arms around me.

I missed this warmth. She smelled like walnuts and caramel. Every time I was sad or hurt mamì would give me the biggest hug. She always filled me with warmth. But this was different. I wasn't sad or broken, I was overjoyed!

There was nothing more I wanted then to be in her comfort again. To feel the same as I did as a kid. With everything that happened in the war I needed to feel like a kid more then ever right now.

"Te extrañé mucho! I thought something had happened when they sent me a letter about you. I was too scared to open it." She tightened our hug as her face was drenched with tears.

She let go of me placing a hand back over her mouth as if it were to stop her from crying.

"Come in!" She moved out of the way of the doorway.

We sat on the couch for hours. Me patting her on the back telling her it was okay as she sobbed.

When her crying slowed soon stoping I stood up smiling at her and picking up my box.

"I'm just going to put this upstairs okay Mamì?" She nodded her head vigorously, watching my every step as I made my way upstairs.

Opening my bedroom door I was met with a familiar sight. It was just how I left it. Drawings of the Azura book were posted up over my walls, some halfway hanging off. Dust had collected on the floors from the lack of use. My bedsheets were a dark purple and somewhat mesy. Shoes and clothes were scattered across the floor as well as papers and pencils.

I placed the box in the corner, taking it all in. This was my old room. The one I spent so many days in reading, drawing, or reading fanfiction.

"Uh erm- Luz there's food downstairs if you want some!" She sounded almost like she didn't want to bother me. I guess she didn't really know how to treat this aswell.

I ripped my eyes away frkm the room walking downstairs and into the kitchen.

She sat at the table tapping her hands on her legs with a plate of food infront of her. I sat across from her folding my hands in my lap.

"So Luz... Now that you're back do you want to go into a university, or is there anything else you want to do?" I had to say as much as it was amazing to be back with my mother it was awkward not knowing what to say. I didn't know much about her anymore, and she didn't know much about me. Not to mention we just had a long emotional moment not long ago and I could tell she was trying to get away from that idea. In my opinion I think she was trying to act like I never left. To make it easier on her.

"Yeah I think I would want to get a proper education now that I'm back."

"Great! I'll sign you up for Hexside. It may be in the Boiling Isles but it probably has a better education system then any of the schools here. Are you okay with starting tomorrow?"

The Boiling Isles... I could finally see my friends again.

"Yeah thats fine. Uhm- I'm going to go to bed mamì, thanks for the meal!" I hadn't even eaten anything, but the thought of the Boiling Isles just made me scared. There's a chance they didn't even like me anymore. Or didn't like my new self. I definitely didn't have nerd arms anymore but other then that I was kinda the same person! I was still a geek over Azura and I loved magic! I just had a different attitude.

"Luz it's only 6:00 o'clock!" My mother seemed confused but I continued to my room. Shutting the door behind me I slid into bed.

In truth I didn't really want to sleep. Now with how I was back and had so much to catch up on. But I really didn't want to talk or think about the Isles right now.

Willow, Gus, Boshca, and Amity...

Amity huh... Wonder what she looks like now. She's vaguely told me over her letters, but other then that I got nothing.

My thoughts stayed on Amity as I slipped into an unintentional sleep. The darkness flooded in as I soon relaxed.

Not proof read