Chapter 21 ~ the maiden and the thief

Start from the beginning

Aelin sighed and downed the glass of whisky before catching his gaze. "You're right, I know you're right. It's just, the need to protect, you understand?!"
Azriel nodded. "Believe me, I do."

"And I know she'll always have her family." "And us." Azriel added. "She'll always have us, as well."

Azriel could not pull his hand away fast enough as Aelin placed her hand on his. His entire body tensed. "Thank you." She said with so much sincerity that he could do nothing else but lightly squeeze her hand in return.

"Now tell me, what's been weighting you down, shadowsinger?"

                               ~

The rain poured down so hard Ciana thought it would go through the roof. And that scared her, because then all these beautiful books, full of handsome men and adventures would be useless. "I can understand why Nesta enjoys this place." She murmured in herself.

The princess of fire and flame lay in a comfortable deep red couch near a roaring fire, the shape of falling stars carved into the stone. A cup of steaming orange and cinnamon tea was standing in front of her on the coffee table. She stared at it, and willed it to fly her way on a small breeze. "Why be active if you can be lazy and use magic?!" She giggled and caught the cup, the book she was reading in her lap.

It was a cheesy roman about a poor guy who fell in love with the princess. But the princess wasn't actually a princess, but a warrior witch who'd cursed the kingdom. And the poor boy had no clue.

"I knew I could find you here. Where the books are, there's my daughter." Rowan said as he entered and closed the heavy wooden door behind him.
Ciana suddenly found the floating orange in her tea very interesting.

The weight of the couch shifted as her father sat down, his eyes burning on her, commanding to look up. "Could you not stare at me like that?!" She barked, her voice sharper than intended.

"I'm here to apologize."
"Are you gonna break forks again?"
"I'm sorry."
"You should tell the fork that."

"Ciana." Rowan said lowly, a breeze turning her tea cold instantly.
Ciana snarled softly and heated it again with a flame.

Her father sighed and casted his eyes on the fire instead.
Ciana looked up now, to see him with a guilt wrinkle between his eyebrows. He never had the guilt wrinkle. She'd only seen it once in her life.

"Dad?!" She said as she lifted herself up from her slouchy position, till she was sitting right up. She grabbed his hand and squeezed, making Rowan look at her.
Her dad's pine eyes were induced with guilt and she couldn't bear to see. So she threw herself in his arms without thinking. Ciana wrapped her arms tightly around his neck and snuggled against her dad, placing her head on his shoulder, letting it rest there.

A low chuckle went through the room as her dad hugged her back. "You always did this when you were little." "Well, you're my shoulder to lean on. That's what you told me, I'm only using it." She chirped.

Her das slowly stroked her back. "And no matter what will happen, I'll be here for you. Always, Ana." He whispered.
"No matter what?"
"Through fire and darkness, sweetheart." He answered and pulled her back. "And I'm really sorry for letting my dominant ass rule my behavior yesterday." He said, placing a kiss on her forehead.