Chapter 12 ~ Wings of fury

Night had fallen, and under the cover of the stars and the watchful eye of the moon, Rhysand, Brion, Azriel and Cassian flew towards the eastern part of the court, a few miles above the Court of Nightmares.

Brion watched as Azriel carried queen Vassa, his shadow magic blocking her from spying eyes, if they may be here. Brion's sharp eyes scanned the sky, searching for any irregularities or weird motions. But none to find.

"We're getting closer, I can sense it in my bones," Vassa said above the soaring wind. "I can feel it too," his father told everyone. Brion saw that his father looked at a little mountain range to his left. "We're gonna land there, so that Azriel can go check the surroundings." Azriel carefully placed Vassa in Cassian's arms and flew straight towards the place the cloud was last seen. Brion's heart always ached if one of them flew into danger.
"It'll be alright Brion, come." He followed his father and Cassian towards the range, his wings easily soaring over the cold air.

Two hours ago, Vassa had agreed to tag along, to check it out. "It's my duty, he's was my master, who's causing trouble. It's only fair if I help you all," she had said. Brion had winnowed upstairs immediately, to grab his Illyrian armor. It felt like a second skin as he pulled it on, every scale of black material hugging his bulking muscles. He sharpened his Illyrian daggers, which he strapped against his thighs, and the sword he carefully placed on his back, in between his mighty wings. He had said goodbye to his mom and sister and had taken the skies.

The starry sky was clear as always, and Brion stood next to his father, waiting for Azriel to give the signal that it was relatively safe for the high lord and heir to follow. "Can you feel it too?" Brion looked at his father, who stared over his territory. "Yes, it's like a weight pushing down on your body." Brion nodded, as his father said what he felt. Then, his father straightened, wings spread. "Let's go, Azriel gave the signal."

They flew further and further, till they reached the last mountain range that belonged to the Night court. Brion had never seen such a massive darkness before. His magic rumbled deep within him, begging to come out and destroy the lingering threat. But he held back. Cassian cursed violently, as they all took in the massive black cloud.

It wasn't much of a cloud, from up close. More like penetrating black darkness, with orange and red shimmering threads woven in it. It radiated such a heat that it pressed on Brion's head, causing a banging headache. But he shook the pain off of him and looked at his family. "What is this?" Cassian murmured. "I...I have no idea," Vassa said, defeated. Flapping winds from their right, and Azriel appeared. "There's no way we can fly in it. The heat is too much. It'll burn us." A flicker of starlight, and his father send his magic at it. It went straight through the black smoke. 'Nothing,' Rhys murmured. 'Well, we have to do something. We cannot just go home without answers.' 

Brion flew from left to right, trying to get some information. 'Mmm, I wonder,' he murmured as he unstrapped his dagger from his muscular thigh. With a swift motion he threw the dagger into the darkness. Cassian's brows rose, but Brion ignored it, concentrated on the place he had thrown the dagger in. Although he couldn't see in the smoky material, he had a feeling...

Yes, he was correct, he thought, as his father dug and Brion winnowed behind Rhys to catch the dagger. 'What in the name of the cauldron...' Vassa murmured. Brion's eyes shot towards his father's. Rhys's eyes shone with understanding and intelligence. Brion just nodded slightly, before he turned towards the other's, who looked confused. 'The smoke is a living and breathing thing.'

~

'Concentrate Ciana, for goodness sake.' 

A deep growl left her lips, as she willed the fire to make perfect circles, then, making the wind swirl through them like a thread. 'I am trying mom, if you would just shut up.' Aelin snarled. 'You've been out of it ever since you left Velaris. I understand you're worrying, but you cannot dwell in it. That's not how you learn to wield magic.' 'I know, mom,' Ciana said again, teeth bared. 'No, you clearly don't,' her mother snarled back. 'Stop, now.'