Chapter 23 ~ of monsters and promises

"I do not like being bossed around." Amren snapped at the darkness, unbothered and unafraid. Brion wondered what in the cauldron the ancient one all had seen in her long lifetime that this thing—Bryaxis, didn't scare her to death.

"And still you're here." The darkness spoke softly, the voice coming from everywhere and nowhere. It was all consuming and unending and bone chilling. He should've closed his eyes, was the very first thought that entered his mind the second Bryaxis appeared out of the dark. Or—it seemed to be the dark. Another kind of darkness than his father and he possessed. Their magic was the night sky and the stars.
Bryaxis? He possessed the darkness of death. The darkness the dead saw right before they entered a burning hell.

He couldn't rip his eyes away from the monster, but had to make sure Ciana was okay. If anyone could ever be okay staring at this thing. He squeezed her hand and to his immense relief, she squeezed back. At least she was still here. Because he felt the urge to either scratch his eyes out or run all the way back to the house. Bryaxis seemed to expand and the darkness crept around them, underneath and above them. He couldn't see Amren anymore, but knew she was here. His hand tightened in Ciana's and his breathing was as ragged as hers. As long as she was breathing, all would be well.

"Well, are you going to scare the poor kids some more, or shall we get to the bloody point?" The little ancient one bit out, her voice sharper than Truth Teller itself. Bryaxis chuckled lowly. "Tell your father, Brion, that I immensely enjoyed killing on the battlefield. And tell your sweet mother I love the window. It's why I returned." The thing mused. Goosebumps erupted on his arms and he felt a snarl crashing through him at the mention of his parents out of Bryaxis mouth. But he kept his mouth wisely shut. Not wanting to either anger Amren, who'd ordered them to keep quiet, and Bryaxis. They still needed to pull information out of him.
"If you wanted a welcome back gift, you should've asked for Feyre herself. I'm not that person." Amren said lazily, her silver eyes flaring in the dark. Bryaxis stilled. "Alright, I will tell you." It rasped.

"After the war was over, I was consumed by the freedom I now had. That's why I did not immediately return. On my travels through Prythian, I came across a lot of different things. I may or may not have crossed oceans, may or may not have seen the continent." It spoke, slithering around them. Darkness arose with each word he spoke, and Brion could hear the priestesses rush to the upper levels of the library, where Bryaxis would not reach.
"And you will be so kind to share that information with us." Amren said. Bryaxis seemed to smile at them. "Well, of course I want to be of service. But—for a prize."

~

"I'm not relaxed." Rowan said as he paced up and down the broad living room. "Then you should drink. At least a bottle." Mor chirped. Rowan groaned and shot her a look that said: you kidding me?!
"Oh come on, Rowan. Don't turn into Mr Grumpy pants." Aelin said to her mate, looping her arms around his neck, making him stop pacing. "Who is Mr Grumpy pants?" Lorcan asked from of the couch where he was seated next to Elide, a hand on her belly.

Everyone looked at him collectively and spoke in complete unison, as if they'd waited for this moment. "You."
Lorcan rolled his eyes and pulled Elide closer. "It's time I kick your ass on the training field Rowan, you have lost your respect for me." Lorcan mused tauntingly, voice a low rumble.
Rowan sighed. "In all seriousness, is no one else worried?"

"Oh, we are. It's Bryaxis after all." Rhys deadpanned as he walked into the living room. "But pacing around like that will make my carpet loose it's colour and it was quite expensive." His violet eyes sparkled as he said it, before clasping Rowan's shoulder. "They'll be fine. Trust me." Rowan did not relax at that statement, but at least sat himself down in one of the other couches. "Once this is done with, me and my husband need to return to Terrasen. It doesn't rule itself, you know?" Aelin stated. Rhys nodded. "Of course. But may I invite you for Starfall? I'm pretty sure I overheard Ciana saying she wanted to visit. And what kind of friend would I be if I didn't invite you all personally?" He smiled warmly, lighting up the entire room.