Chapter 4

My dad's drinking doesn't stop. Every time I get home from school, I peek inside his room and see him indulging a bottle, flipping through photobooks or looking at his computer. Other times, he's sleeping or drousily watching television. I wonder if the two week suspension is taking a toll on him, and I was worried even if he went back, he would still be like this. Maybe even worse.

On a certain afternoon, I am walking in the frigid air again back home with Hinata blabbering besides me. Hands shoved in my pockets, and my back slightly hunched due to how cold it is, I glanced over to see Hinata shoving a meat bun in his mouth while speaking:

"and two essays, seriously?! It's crazyyyyy." He swallows the rest of his meat bun and gives me a flashy smile. I return a small smile and look up to realize we're already at Hinata's house.

Great. That meant that I was almost at my own home, and I really didn't want to go back. I didn't want to met with either a terrible, cold silence or rash, terrifying shouts. I didn't realize I was staring afar, at the home I so dreaded until Hinata tapped me on the elbow.

"Kageyama, what's wrong?" He had to tilt his head up to look at me. "I know they ran out of your favorite brand of milk today but-"

"No, it's not that. I mean, that is very annoying, but-" I look away from his wide, pleading eyes, "It's nothing. I'm just gonna go home now."

I don't want to, but I find myself stepping forward anyways. There's a tug on my sleeve, and I turn around to face Hinata. He releases me quickly and lowers his head.

"Ah- gomen (sorry), Kageyama- I just want to know... is there something back home you don't wanna go to?"

I hesitate. At first, I didn't want to tell him. But then I remember- it's Hinata. He's the first person I told, and who I consider, my closest friend. Besides, he told me I could trust him. And I do.

"My dad," I finally tell him. "He hasn't spoken much to me since Mom died, and things are really dull in the house. But recently, he's been suspended from work, so he's been er.. drinking a lot. It's fine, Hinata."

Hinata frowns for a moment, then his eyes light up. "Then don't go home now. Come hang out at my place. My mom won't mind, and my sister loves you."

I chuckle at the thought of his jumping, screaming sister. It was in the blood.

"Okay," I finally decide. I am sure Dad won't mind. He doesn't seem to care about anything right now, and his mind is completely dazed and exhausted. If I came home late tonight, he wouldn't even notice. He'd be too shut up in his room to even see. I wondered if I got murdered tonight, if he would care.

Hinata's eyes light up in excitment. It kind of made me happy to see his face so gleeful.

"We can have more meat buns! And play volleyball! OH- and you have to help me with my essay-"

"What- Dumbass Hinata, I didn't sign up for that!"

"Well, you've surprisingly gotten a little more smarter than you used to be, so deal with it."

But he drags me along inside his house, and five minutes later, we're in his bedroom, eating meat buns, and I'm grumpily giving him tips for his ridiculous essay.

"You do realize I have my own homework, right?" I ask, after about 30 minutes of helping him. Hinata pouts.

"But we just finished drafting the 1st paragraph!"

"Then take some advise I gave you for the first paragraph and use  it for the other, dumbass!"

"Oh, shut up- I'd like to see you try-"