Chapter 11

Side by side, the two of us walked home that evening, after a nice hour of just laying in the grass, staring at the stars, hands clasped together. I slowed my pace down to match Hinata, as he moved along the sidewalk on his crutches.

"Aughhh, I'm tired," the short haired boy complains besides me, shifting his crutches beneath his arms.

"We're almost home, dumbass," I tell him, smirking.

"Yeah, yeah... Kageyama?" Hinata says.

"Yeah? What is it?"

"On the night of our first kiss," he continues, blushing a little, "when we were in my room, you said kissed two other people before me."

"Huh-? Oh. That- that-"

"You said 'another time,' so tell me nowww," Hinata begs, and he gives me an adorable, puppy eye look. I groan in my own embarrassment, scowling at the ground.

"Fine. They both happened last year. First time, there was a girl, and we were working on a large project together. Apparently, she had a huge crush on me," I tell Hinata, trying to sound casual to cover up the embarrassment I was feeling. "I didn't like her back, obviously, but I didn't know what to say."

"Bet you were all like 'uh- okay,' Hinata mocks, dropping his voice into a lower tone to mimic me.

"Shut up, dumbass!" I say, even though he's not wrong. "Anyways, she asked if she could kiss me, and I didn't know what to do. I just let her do it. After that, we never really talked- I think she got the point I didn't like her that way."

"And the second way?" pries Hinata.

"Er- don't laugh, but I was walking home with Miwa one evening, and we passed by this bar. This drunk girl just comes staggering out, and she sees me. She just randomly stumbles up to me and says 'you look like some anime dude' and kisses me. Then her friend comes out, apologizing to us a lot and-"

"You look like some anime dude?" Hinata shouts, gawking at me before wheezing and shaking with laughter.

" I said don't laugh!" I shout, smacking him on the back of his head.

He only continues laughing.

We enter a darker street, the only light flickering on and off. The two of us head down the sidewalk until we passed by a convenient store. As if on cue, Hinata's stomach rumbles, and I realize I'm hungry too. In unison, we look at each other.

"Hey, I haven't bought anything for us today," I tell him. "I'm gonna go buy us some dinner."

"Are you sure, Kageyama?" Hinata asks, following me as I begin to enter the store.

"Yeah, and-" I gesture to a nearby bench. "You said you were tired. Go sit down. I'll be back."

Hinata hesitates, then nods and smiles. I kiss the top of his head, smiling softly to myself at the comforting smell of tangerines, then I turn away and enter the store. Inside the store, I take a moment considering what was good for us to eat, yet still was pretty cheap. I pull out my money, doing some quick calculations, then grab sandwiches and a bottle of water. While I pay for the food at the counter, the cashier tries to make some small talk with me, but he stops after a "hello, how are you doing." Some of my friends say I look serious and I'm scowling all the time, but I swear- that's my normal face.