Chapter 15

I hated the sound of sirens.

I hated seeing police cars.

Because everytime I saw them, something bad was happening. First, the police had told me my mother died. Now, the police were wrestling the second shooter into the back of the car while officers and nurses bustled around the gym. Red and blue lights flashed back and forth, blinding my eyes, and my ears still ached from the gunfire minutes ago. My mind felt so clouded that I barely notice the nurse tending my arm.

"Um- hello?"

I snap back to reality, and I look to the nurse besides me, a kit in her hand. "Sorry," I say quietly.

She smiles gently at me, but it doesn't reach her eyes. "You're all good now." The nurse clicks the kit closed and looks back at me. "You should... go visit your friend at the hospital. You know where the hospital is, right?"

"Yeah." I get up from the bench and nod at her. "He'll be alright?"

The nurse glances at the floor for a split second, her eyes darkening, but she quickly looks back up with a smile. "Of course. Now you should go before... before it gets to late."

"Thank you."

"Take it easy!" she calls, but the only thing that is racing through my head is Hinata.

By now he should be at the hospital. I'll go there, and I'll wait, and then I'll get to visit him. He'll be sitting up in his bed with a big bright smile, and he'll give me the greatest hug ever-

The imagery takes over my head, and I sprint out of the gym, weaving through the police and nurses. Cool air hits my face, and my arms pump at my side, my legs going in balanced, quick strides. The familiar wave of running rushes around my body, and for a moment, I think I am simply going on a morning jog.

I get to the large hospital, with it's tall, glass windows and a large red sign. The hospital lights shine brightly in the darkness, and it looks somewhat eerie. Cars pull in and out of the parking lot, and out of one of the cars, I spot Hinata's parents and his sister. Exhaling loudly, I follow them into the hospital.

To the side, I see them rush up to a counter and hurriedly talk to the lady at the counter. The nurse is nodding at the family, and finally, she points to chairs off the side, gesturing them to sit. As Hinata's family heads for the chairs, Hinata's mother spots me.

"Kageyama!" she cries, rushing over to me and grabbing my shoulders. I wince in pain and step back, putting a hand over my bandaged shoulder. Her eyes widen, and she bows her head apologetically. "Were you..."

"Yeah, I'm fine though," I say. "I just came to see Hinata."

"We came as soon as we heard the news," his mother replies, nodding towards her husband and Natsu. Hinata's father's eyebrows are crinkled in worry, and he looks angry, while Natu's eyes are slightly puffy. "I can't believe that happened. You children shouldn't have to have gone through that..." she stops, taking a deep breath and looking up at the celing, her eyes slightly tearing up. "At least he's caught now, we heard."

I nod, unsure of what to say.

We head over to the waiting area, none of us saying a word to each other. I try giving Natsu a small smile, but it probably looked like a grimace. Sitting down, I hunch over, clenching my nails into the palm of my hand as I try to relax. I pull out my phone and check the news, which somehow already, was displaying the shooting at our school: Endo Akuhei, age 24, twin to Endo Zenuku, has been arrested by the police after attacking Karasuno highschool during a volleyball practice.

There are images of the police shoving the criminal into the back of the car, and it makes me sick. I shove the phone back in my pocket and go back to staring at the tile in front of me as if it's the most interesting thing I've ever seen.