Chapter 17

"Kageyamaaaaaa. Kageyamaaaaa."

I groan drously and slowly open my eyes. Looking down at me is Hinata with his orange hair dangling down, and a bright smile on his face.

"Shoyo...?" I whisper, lifting a hand to touch his soft cheek.

He pokes my nose and giggles at me. "Get up! You're going to be late for the tournament."

I stare at him for a moment, then sit up. Hinata rolls off my lap, sitting crossed leg on my bed. His leg isn't broken, his body is bleeding. He's here with me.

He waves his hands, urging me to hurry up, so I do. I rush into the bathroom where I quickly brush my teeth and shower, then I'm back in my room, changing. I stuff my knee pads and a water bottle into my bag, and I turn to Hinata. He's still sitting on my bed, beaming at me warmly, rocking back and forth excitedly.

"Aren't you coming?" I ask, extending a hand towards him. Hinata's hand reaches towards mine, and his fingers graze mine. Without warning, he pulls back, leaving a lingering coldness on my skin which begs for his warmth.

"You know I can't," Hinata replies.

"What- what do you mean?" I incline my head towards the door. "Come on! We're going to be late."

"Don't you remember, Tobio?" Hinata's smile suddenly falls, and his a shadow passes over his face. Blood is appearing all over his body, soaking my shirt he wore, and his eyes glaze over, never leaving mine.

"I'm dead."

*

I jolt up on my bed, panting and sweat brimming my forehead. My hands feel clammy, and my heart beats loudly in my chest. My alarm clock is beeping wildly besides me, and with a groan, I slam it quiet. An eerie silence falls in my room. In the distance, I hear my father snoring loudly, passed out from his nightly drinking. A loud sigh escapes my mouth, and I flop back down onto my bed, my dream still lingering in my head.

My hand stretches out to the air, and I imagined Hinata's face there just like my dream.

He was here. He was just here. And then he was gone.

Silent tears slip down my face, soaking my pillow, and I clench a fist to my chest, feeling the aching hollowness bite at me. Then I clench my jaw and force myself to get up, pushing past the grief that tore at my heart.

Suddenly, there is a knock at my front door. My stomach lurches anxiously, and I quickly rush out of my room towards the door before my father can get furious about someone bothering him. I open the front door, and standing there is my sister Miwa with a suitcase besides her and a backpack slung over her shoulder.

"Miwa?" I stammer.

Miwa's lower lip trembles, and she suddenly swings her arms around me, squeezing me in a tight hug. "I heard about what happened at Karasuno, but I couldn't manage to come home till school was over!" She shakes me over and over, looking at me with big eyes. "I wanted to text you about it, but that wouldn't sound serious enough- oh, Tobio, I'm so sorry!"

I nod slowly, unsure of what to say.

"Oh- and I wanted to support your game today too. Gosh, I'm sleep-deprived though. You have coffee?"

"Um-"

"And how's dad?" she sticks her head into the door. "DAD- I'M HOME!"

I slam the door shut behind me, and she gives me a look. "Is... something wrong?"

"Miwa..." my words die down. I'm not really sure how to tell my sister what's wrong with our father. I've kept it a secret for so long wanting Miwa to concentrate on school, but now she has graduated, and she was standing right here in front of me. I swallow and force the words out. "Dad's sick. He's an alcoholic."