Chapter 13

March came by. The weather begin to get warmer, and the snow covered trees slowly melted away, leaving bare branches prepped for fresh leaves to grow. In my house, stuck with my father, it was always a dull, gloomy feeling, which I tried to avoid as much as possible with Hinata. He was practically an aura of happiness that made a small smile always creep up on my face. His leg may still be broken, but I made sure to be there for him as much as much as he was there for me to keep him positive.

Life was busy with my two jobs, school, volleyball, and dealing with my father, but when I was with Hinata? Everything just seemed to relax. It had been 3 months since we kissed and officially started dating, but we'd known each other for so long, that our relationship seemed so much longer and closer.

"-and then the whole class just started cheering and whooping, and I was just bowing. I really am such a celebrity," Hinata was saying, as he told me a story about something that happened in class. I swear, he always has such interesting things happen to him. Or maybe it's just because I love listening to him talk.

Hinata finishes his story and scrunches up his eyebrows at me, leaning towards me. "Why are you looking at me so weirdly?!" he demands.

I smirk at him, running a hand through my hair as I lean back against his bedframe. "Because you're cute when you're so enthusiastic about something."

Hinata raises an eyebrow at me, then giggles and kisses me on the forehead. He pulls back and gives me a devilish smile. "Let's take a picture together," he says with a mischievous, sinister look.

I gape at him. "What?"

"A picture, Tobio," the small boy says, reaching for his phone behind him and pressing on the camera icon.

"What?" I repeat, raising my hands to block my face. "Ack- no, dumbass."

"Pleaseee," Hinata begs, while I try swatting the phone away. "Say cheese!"

He grabs my hands, holding them down for a moment and quickly takes a picture. I groan while Hinata giggles and makes fun of my scowling face in the picture.

"I'm sending this to you so you'll never forget it!" Hinata says, cackling.

*

"Oiii, Kageyama!"

I turn behind me, shouldering my black bag that held my school books. Hinata was moving as fast as he could towards me with his crutches, a beam on his face. He weaves through the students and down the hallway to where I stood.

"Dumbass, stop moving so fast, or you'll hurt yourself again," I snap. Hinata laughs, and shaking my head, I continue. "How was the doctor's appointment for your leg yesterday?"

"Oh, it was good! I'll be off of them completely by May, and then I'll be having some physical therapy."

"Physical therapy?"

"Yeah. For me to get used to my healed leg and prepare for the volleyball tournament in June."

For a moment, I wonder if Hinata can fully function and be able to play just as he did before during our tournament. Our last tournament. Then I remember this is Hinata Shoyo we're talking about. He can do it.

"You can do it," I tell him. "You'll recover so fast that nobody will see it coming, and then we'll win this last tournament."

Hinata grins up at me, and I want to kiss him. I almost do. But I don't. I'm still a little nervous about showing our relationship between the two of us in public

"HEY! You two!" a gruff, loud voice shouts out.

Hinata and I turn around to see a huge, tall boy with sleek, black hair make his way across the hallway towards us. He folds his arms and tries sizing Hinata up. Immediately, my instincts tell me he's not here for a friendly chat, and I find myself placing a hand near Hinata's body like a protection.