Chapter 47 - Crescendo

The grounds were quiet as the sun continued to descend, inching lower, drawing night ever closer. The plan had multiple parts, roles, risks. It first consisted of saving as many of the pack as possible, which would simultaneously draw Kael and Nevaeh away from the true danger, and leave only the prophesied ones to face the Collector. And Malachi, who coolly refused to go with the rescue party.

I could understand why in some capacity. Malachi had a quiet calm around him. It had grown as the evening stretched on, and finally I recognized it as a him-or-me mentality. He had made his peace with tonight, whatever the ending would be. I wondered if he really cared who won, or if he'd feel relief either way, because it meant he had made his choice, because it meant he was his own, at least in some way. Whatever result the sun shone on by morning, he had chosen it and maybe that was comfort enough to him.

There's a peace in making a decision, in deciding to accept what will come, whatever it may be. The heavy clouds of 'when' or 'if' had finally blown past him, and something in his demeanor showed it. It made me think that maybe, to him, the wait had been the worst part. Battling with himself, burying what he wanted, living with the tension of his contradictions for decades.

Kael and Nevaeh would have their hands full with the Collector's followers without Malachi's help. But I couldn't worry about that. I had to trust they were enough, smart enough, good enough. I told myself they were, that they would make sure Ace's group got to safety, back to the Vault, and that then they would follow. I prayed they would follow. I convinced myself that Abby would be ready and waiting, ensuring that only those he wanted could come through his gate and into his home.

I lied to myself over and over again and said that the quivering shiver that moved in the back of my mind wasn't some Gift trying to warn me. It was just nerves, no, excitement. That's what I decided it was. Worry would do nothing for me now, except make me suffer twice. And anxiety and excitement are basically the same anyway. Besides, Kael and Nevaeh's mission wasn't the real test, getting Ace's pack away was just a happy distraction, a convenient way to remove the weaker members of our Clan from a fight that wasn't theirs. And that was all James and I could do to protect them. All they would let us do.

The plan against the Collector was straightforward. James and I would be the front line, Malachi would protect Ailech, and Ailech would draw as much life and power from the Collector as he could, weakening him.

Ailech and Malachi had shared a long look when our positions were decided upon. I could see my guardian trying to gather faith in Malachi. And I saw the change in his forest eyes as he decided to trust him, to quite literally put his life in the hands of someone who had been an enemy a matter of days, or hours ago, depending on what you believed. I chose to believe the former. Malachi saw the change in Ailech too, and dropped his animal eyes to the ground, a war of emotions swirling behind their sunset hue. But when Ailech clapped his hand on his shoulder with a casual 'my life is yours , psycho,' Malachi looked up solemnly, his eyes now black.

"I've got you."

His rumbling voice seemed to move through me so deeply, I wondered if there was power in his words, an oath of some kind. Something in the look they shared, their connection or unlikely friendship, or maybe just their honesty stretched behind my ribs painfully, splitting somewhere, constricting somewhere else, but I pushed it away along with countless other emotions I didn't have the time or luxury for.

Honestly, it didn't matter what emotions I buried or lies I told myself, because the truth was, even in my killing calm I was scared. Those seemingly opposed feelings somehow merged in me as we waited for James' father to arrive. I saw Kael's lips moving in silent prayer and heard Nevaeh's mind circling something similar. Even I found myself asking the Heavens, Angels, or whoever else might be watching to help our side. James' face was stone, unreadable as he stared into the woods behind the manor, perfectly still, like a guardian statue of our home. He didn't even seem to be breathing as he watched the world doubly through his eyes and his Sight, waiting and watching, listening for any disturbance marking his father's appearance.