Chapter 3 - Reddish

Ailech knocked on Abraham's door and I had to make a conscious effort to act disinterested in Jordan when he entered, pulling my eyes away from her and instead trying to study the books on Abby's shelves like they were the most riveting things I had ever seen, which, though they were ancient and rare, was a stretch for even my acting abilities.

"You're late, Mors, come on. Zodi might have already left."

Ailech looked more irritated that he hadn't been invited to the meeting before him than that Jordan was missing a tutoring session. I smirked over at him.

"I'm sorry but you will need to tell her tutors that she will be on a hiatus for the next couple of weeks most likely. I have an errand for Miss Kay and Mr. Darke."

Abby said the lie easily, seamlessly, and though it was for a good cause, it still made something in me twinge. He had lied to me often using his easy words, but that was in the past. I unclenched my fists from my side as I realized Ailech was watching me, luckily he probably just thought I was upset that I would have to spend weeks with my Pair. Jordan scowled over at me so convincingly I almost frowned, but instead, I sneered back and turned to face Abby more squarely, making sure to keep my voice as empty as I could, with only a sliver of contempt to break up its monotony.

"I'm perfectly capable of doing this errand myself. I don't need her with me. You know she isn't ready yet, not near where I am. She should stay here and continue her classes...sir."

I thought my final mock might have been selling it a bit too much, and I saw Jordan's lip twitch up as if she was trying to stifle a smile, but it was too quick for anyone else to have noticed, and then her scowl darkened and I almost thought she was about to Shift and launch herself at me. That would have been fun. But she simply turned and left the room, grabbing Ailech's arm and dragging him along with her. Her voice drifted back from the hallway after she had exited.

"I'm going to pack my things, Abby, but I'll be back. This conversation isn't over!"

She sounded so genuinely angry I was a little proud, then the door swung closed from some unseen magic and I was alone with Abby.

I sat silently for a moment, watching Ailech and Jordan leave with my Sight, making sure they would be far away before I let myself relax. Once they were a safe distance I let the true smile that had been fighting to be seen play at my lips. I couldn't help it, Jordan's idea would be fantastically entertaining.

"You two pretend well," Abby said with a smile. I shrugged in response.

"But make sure you keep your eyes off of her more often, merely glance at her, or better yet just look through her. When you let your eyes linger on her, your act is easily seen. Something changes in your eyes when you look at her, and though I find the change wonderful in you, it will not serve your purpose."

I nodded as I stood, turning toward the door. My hand hovered at the handle with ambivalence. I wasn't sure if I wanted to ask my old tutor, not sure if I should trust him with the question burning my tongue. I remembered how I used to confide in him, in small, strange ways, twisted ways, but that had been the best I could do back when I was a child. But then I remembered my father's rage when he told me my teacher had disappeared, that he had fled, the rage he had taken out on me for days. I fought a cringe at the memories as I turned the handle.

"I'm sorry, James," Abby said from behind me, his voice sincere.

"I know."

I silently cursed to myself as I let go of the handle and turned back to the old man's familiar face. It was amazing how he hadn't seemed to of age a single day, though it had been more than a decade and a half since I had seen him. The last time he saw me I was just a teenager, a child, gangly arms and legs and messy black hair, black eyes and a blacker soul. I realized I probably looked similar now, with how far I had let my body slip, with how skinny I had gotten, how my hair fell in my face now. I felt strange standing before him a man now, so different and yet so similar.