Chapter 4 - Jump

Kael stumbled into the room, his skin as white as the heat-fogged sky outside. Thin gray veins crawled up his arms, strangely visible through his habitually tanned skin. His normal posture, the one I had gotten used to, the one of control and sharp surveillance was gone, cracking and falling apart before my eyes as he barely held himself up against the mirrored wall, his hands leaving sweaty smears tinged in red.

Only then did I see the blood dripping from his nostrils, brimming his eyes, leaking from beneath his nails. It oozed from his skin like it was alive, like it was desperately trying to flee its host, escape something. Then he muttered the words we most feared, even if we'd never spoken of them aloud since our arrival in our new city, since the dissolution of our Clan.

"They're coming."

The stupor from my day of over-watering evaporated as my Shift jumped from beneath my skin like my brother's blood was doing. Immediately I felt the panic rising, even with my Shift surging through me. This was it, it was finally going to happen. I should have died when my parents had. I should have died when my sister had. I should have died when I went after their killers. I had wanted it then, deep down, it had been my plan. But instead, James and Kael had saved me. I'd cheated death three times and now it finally found me. I should have died long ago. I had been ready then, I had been willing. But now I wasn't. If for no other reason than Kael; he would not die today. He saved my life when I didn't even want it, and now I would do the same for him.

I knew he wanted to die, that he no longer saw a purpose to his life, that he was lost without his Clan, his family, his brother, the one who had pulled him back from the edge, just like he had done for me. I knew he hated being the leader, that he was terrified of losing his mind, that he knew it was only a matter of time before he did.

He wasn't meant to lead, despite his sign and gifts. He would prefer to die like this, to be hunted by those we had been hunting for weeks, rather than lose himself to insanity, but I couldn't let him die, not like this. I would gladly hold the knife for him before I let him die to the soulless human shit that was coming for us. I would willingly take his life before his mind could if he ever asked it of me, but this was not how he would go, so, I couldn't yet either.

"How many, how strong, and how long do we have?"

The questions came from me without a thought as I turned and rummaged through our messy suite, looking for my whips, knives, and Kael's staff.

"Where are the weapons?"

I growled, working hard to keep my voice controlled as I realized they weren't in any corner of the room, or anywhere easily accessible that my eyes could find. I heard a choked laugh come from behind me. Spinning, I saw Kael's red smile, his gums bleeding around his pointed teeth, his eyes black like mine. His stance looked stronger, but just barely.

What was making him so weak? Why did he look like a pathetic, dying human even with his Shift over him? I couldn't see any wounds, any indication that he had even been attacked, except for the blood trying to leave him from every crevice and weak point it found. His eyes flickered back to their deep brown like tree bark and he sagged against the wall once more.

"Why are you fucking laughing? What are you doing?"

My voice rang out now, no longer any pretense of calm control. Kael's face sobered and he stood a little taller as he answered, almost looking repentant.

"Nevvy," He began quietly, "there are eight of them, a hunting party, with powers you can't imagine, things we've never trained for. I can't fight like this, I can't run, I can barely keep myself on two feet and you can't take them all. They have guns, bullets laced with some electrum poison, blessed or cursed. I've never seen anything like it before, one shot and you're just an animal waiting to be butchered by their stolen Gifts. One shot and I couldn't do anything. I can feel it in me still, and I can feel my power leaving, even my fucking Shift won't stay with me. It's over. I'm- I'm sorry I couldn't protect us. I'm no leader."