Chapter Twenty Eight

Apparently Damon was also sent along for the diplomatic process.

And I his only guard.

Honestly, I didn't know what the emperor was thinking.

Traveling with Damon was quiet, as we went from kingdom to kingdom, talking to the new leaders in charge to make a good impression.

Most of them didn't ask many questions and welcomed us greatly.

But a newer leader, much younger than the others, and one of the last places we visited... they seemed to have a lot of questions to ask us.

"Strange for the crown prince of a large empire to travel with just one man?" He said as the three of them sat at a table.

Damon sighed, glancing at me, then towards the king. "He's the strongest man in our kingdom, he is better than most."

The king, king Vince, seemed unconvinced. His icy eyes flared at us both. "I heard that neither of you are married? Isn't that rather odd at your age?"

"I'm a widower, I recently lost my spouse. They passed right before the war ended," I shot out, a glare of my own transfixed on my face.

Vince looked shocked at the news, and stumbled at his next words, "I apologize for my rudeness. She-"

"I'm into men you highness. My spouse was male, and our best general. He was the last casualty from our side of the war."

"So you moved on?" The king quickly joked, gesturing to Damon and I.

I rolled my eyes, "I've only recently accepted his loss. And from what I'm aware, our crown prince has no interest in men."

Damon cleared his throat, "besides, you've only been rude to us this entire time. Is this how you treat everyone? Are you suited for this position or do I need to tell my father to rethink candidates?"

The king paled at the mere suggestion and shook his head as quickly as possible. "Not necessary, I'll get better. I apologize for my rudeness."

"Better. We'll need a report on your countries financials and commerce. We also want to know how the people are, to see how well they adjusted with the switch in power and policies."

And like that, the meeting went smoothly. Since we stayed the night at the kingdoms, I thought I'd get training in with their soldiers.

Normally I was fully clothed when I trained, but I had been egged on by the soldiers to join them in training without a shirt on.

I relented and did so.

I was made aware that I had a few onlookers of multiple genders.

The soldiers were happy to point them out. I turned to them, seeing Damon, Vince, a few younger male and female servants, and what looked to be the king's brothers watching me.

I looked at all of them, all each thinking I was just waving or something.

Ha

"If you're going to stare, at least say something or join us!"

The way they all startled and scattered was actually pretty funny. The soldiers and I laughed a bit and decided to take a break.

They wanted to know me.

"No wonder they aren't afraid for the prince, you're a strong attractive man," their general complemented.

With a smile, I glance over to Damon, who was petting some dogs nearby. "He may not look it, but the crown prince is a strong man. And you should've seen my husband, he was one of our best."

They didn't hesitate, "sorry for your loss, he must've been a good man."

"He was. The goddess of rebirth blessed him though, and he was able to be reborn in a new world."

The soldiers nodded happily at the idea.

"Have you found anyone to fill your heart since your husbands death?" A soldier asked.

I shook my head. "I've loved two men in my life. I was rejected by one, and obviously the other has passed."

"Well, you have admirers, so you will find someone for you. Perhaps like the prince?" Another soldier suggested.

I chucked, shaking my head. "No way. The prince rejected me a long time ago. We're nothing but friends."

The soldiers seemed confused by that, glancing to where Damon was. I glanced that way too, but the prince was looking at dogs, so I didn't see why they seemed so sure in whatever convo they were drawing.

"Friends don't look at each other that way," they informed.

"You're reading too much into it. I've known him my whole life. If he felt something, I'm sure I'd know."

"Did you know your ex husband liked you before you confessed?"

"I-" no I did not. "No. I was pretty oblivious. Granted, until I confessed, he was keen on hiding his attraction to me, from me."

"Then how would you know? Besides, a crown would suit you, don't you think?" The general teased.

I shook my head, feeling tension in my brows. "No."

"Most people wouldn't say no."

"And unlike most people, I've been offered the crown multiple times. I don't want it."

This caught the soldiers a bit off guard.

"Really?"

"A prince and a king have both asked for my hand. I said no. And the emperor proposed I find some king to marry. In the past he asked me to be adopted into his family or to marry his illegitimate daughter. At the time, the emperor was seeking to put me in the throne and each time, I yelled at him to pay more attention to Damon, because Damon is a great prince, and he'll be a fantastic emperor one day."

That was an info dump.

The soldiers seemed to be equally as surprised as before.

The general did eventually speak up, "you're a good soul."

"Thank you?" It seemed rather odd for him to say, but I'd accept the compliment.

We heard footsteps and Damon was besides me, holding my shirt, "need to run some things by you, care to put the shirt on first?"

"And get rid of everyone's eyes Candy?" I joked as o took the shirt and put it back on.

He rolled his eyes at my joke. "As you were."

The soldiers glanced at us one last time before returning to training.

And I joined Damon's side, following his steps as we walked off.