Chapter 19 : Second date

Chapter 19

Second date

"Hey, Frankie. What was your new teacher's name? You know, Miss Isles. What was her first name?"

Why was she asking that, I was bewildered from her question. I still couldn't process the meaning of her question and her intentions properly.

"Maura," Frankie answered her and I choked on my food when I heard him say her name. Then it hit me.

Oh my God! Oh my God! What the hell!? Did my mother suspect something? Why was she asking that? Just a few hours ago she heard me calling Maura by name on the phone and now she is asking for the teacher's name. I felt a sudden panic and I started to sweat. Maybe she got all figured it out. If that was the case, I was screwed.

"I knew I heard that name from somewhere."

I sighed with relief when I heard my mother say that. The good thing was that my mother didn't suspect anything. I thought for a moment - even if I told her the truth, I think she wouldn't believe me. It was quite unbelievable even for me. I was going out with my teacher. With the hottest teacher I've ever met actually. And probably no one would believe me. So I was good for now. Or at least I was until my brother continued the conversation, opening his big mouth. He had the audacity to ask mother:

"Why are you asking?"

"You see, your sister's girlfriend is Maura."

"You know about Maura and Jane?" Frankie asked, bemused. He looked so shocked and I knew exactly why.

"Yes," I confirmed and hurried to cut the conversation short. "She knows just her name. That's all," I said, giving a warning look to Frankie.

"Yes. I know her name, so what's the big deal?" my mother asked, looking confused. "Why are you both acting so strange? What are you two up to?" she asked, suddenly interested. "Jane?" she turned to face me and I paralyzed under her stern stare, trying to look calm. "Frankie?" she turned towards my brother.

"Nothing," I said, trying to clear any suspicion that she might have.

"Yeah. Nothing," Frankie confirmed after I gave him one of my death glares as a warning. "Don't you dare tell her anything!" I told him with my eyes.

"I think Frankie was going to say something until you interrupted him, Jane." Mother gave me a quick blaming look and waited for an answer from Frankie while he just shook his head negatively. "Then why were you so surprised that I know her name?"

"I-I... I was surprised... Uhmm I was surprised to find out that you know her name because... because you know... you know how secretive Jane is. That's all." Frankie was stuttering, obviously not knowing what to say. It was good that in the end he finally thought of something. Not very smart though.

"Yes. Yes, I am. You know me. You know me so very well, Frankie."

We obviously succeeded to clear any suspicion that my mother could have had because she didn't ask anything else. She obviously believed us. So we were good.

***

After a whole week Saturday night finally came.

"Second date, huh? It must be getting serious," my mother said just before I go to my room to get dressed for the date.

"Yes," I nodded, hoping there wouldn't be an interrogation after that sentence.

"And when will we meet that mysterious girl? Why don't you bring her home? I hope you would invite her soon."

"Sooner or later," I prevaricated.

"Where are you meeting her? Is she taking you from here or are you going to take her from her house?"

"No, Ma. We'll just meet at the cinema. Can I go now?"

"Of course. And don't be late, Jane."

As I told my mother, we agreed to meet straight at the cinema and when I got there Maura was waiting for me outside.

"Hey, Maura." I greeted her, looking at her from head to toe. She was wearing a black dress and she looked really fancy and sexy.

"Hey, Jane." she answered back but she didn't kiss me on the cheek because we were in a public place.

"Oh my God, you look stunning. I didn't put anything special because it's just a movie but you look amazing. I wish I could kiss you right now," I told her, going closer to her.

"But we can't kiss, Jane. We are in public."

"Yeah. On the street where everyone is minding their own business. I don't think anyone would notice us. And besides, I don't see anyone that we know around so..."

I leaned forward, looking at her beautiful eyes. I wasn't looking anywhere but her. She leaned closer, too and kissed me. It was a rushed quick kiss that didn't last long but I was glad that she agreed. I haven't seen her lately, just at school, so I really missed her. A whole week seemed like a lot of time.

Then we watched a romantic comedy and we had fun on our date. We shared the popcorns and every time I took some, our hands would brush. But that was the only contact we had since we were in public and Maura was scared someone might notice. I felt really nice just sitting next to her, being so close, watching the movie together. She seemed to like it, too. In the end I wished I could walk her home but I promised my mother not be late so I had to go. I really wanted to spent some more time with her but I just couldn't. We said our goodbyes and I walked away, leaving her against my will. Perhaps on our next date we could go to some more private place or even at her house, I was thinking on my way home. Maybe we could finally be alone. If she was willing to agree tough because I didn't know. I haven't asked her yet.

When I got home, my mother wasn't looking very well. She was waiting for me in the living room all alone and she seemed upset for some reason. I had no idea why.

"What is going on, Ma? Did somebody die?"

"Not yet," she answered me through greet teeth and I instantly knew something was bothering her. She was angry at me for some reason. "You should be ashamed by yourself, Jane Clementine Rizzoli!" she scolded me, looking at me with blaming look like I had done something wrong. Something unforgivable. "Don't you have any shame!?" She exclaimed and looked at me expectantly with such a sharp stare.