9

"Well, I hope that your plans in favour of Meryton will not be affected by your relations with the gentleman."

I look to my sister, she's be needing to tell the other details as we get ready later today.

"Oh, no, it is not for me to be driven away. If he wishes to avoid seeing me, he must go, not I."

I sit up and look at the young man, I pet my horses head.

"I must ask, Mr Wickham, what is the manner
of your disapproval of Mr Darcy?"

He looks at me and sadly smiles

"My father managed his estate. We grew up together, Darcy and I. His father treated me like a second son. Loved me like a son. We were both with him the day he died. With his last breath, his father bequeathed me the rectory in his estate."

The way he holds himself while telling such a story. It seems like he is telling some sort of truth, even if it isn't the full truth.

"He knew I had my heart set on joining the church. But Darcy ignored his wishes and gave the living to another man."

"But why"

He glances between lizzy and I before setting a serious face.

"Jealousy. His father.... Well, he loved me better and Darcy couldn't stand it."

"How cruel."

"So now, I'm a poor foot soldier, too lowly even to be noticed."

I look over to my sister, something is off. I must here this come from Mr. Darcy. I may not have known him long but I do know he hasn't lied to me yet.

—————————————————

I'm sitting on the bed, my white and beige color dress surrounding me while Jane is helping lizzy with her hair. I'm smiling at how they look, my hair is braided tightly with light colors beads surround the crown. Jane looks in the mirror and starts talking about what lizzy has told us.

"I still think there must have been a misunderstanding."

"Oh, Jane, do you never think ill of anybody?"

I slowly stand up and make my way behind them in the mirror. I look at lizzy as she plays with a feather.

"Well, how could Mr Darcy do such a thing?"

"I'll discover the truth from Mr. Bingley at the ball this evening."

I glance at her, she looks up at me. I frown and shake my head.

"If it is not true, let Mr Darcy contradict it himself. He shall be the one to tell me the truth of everything."

"Till he does, I hope never to encounter him."

"Poor, unfortunate Mr Wickham."

"On the contrary, Wickham is twice the man Darcy is."

"And let us hope, a rather more willing dancer."

They start to laugh as I make my way downstairs. I do hope to see Mr. Darcy there. Whether or not I talk to him is the other thing.

————————————————

I walk in before my family and smile at the others. I see Mr. Bingley with Miss Bingley greeting people.

"Hello Miss Adelaide."

"Hello, the hall is beautifully done. I do hope you save me one dance Mr. Bingley. I do want to talk to you about the letter I sent a few weeks ago."

He nods and I bow to both of them, I walk in and look around. The large white columns with the gold and white marble is absolutely perfect. The women in white with men in their uniforms contrast and make the evening light special. The music is light and mantains the excellence of the rooms. The yellow glows of light reflecting everyone's happy mood. I walk through the doors and smile as many people look my way. I try my best to ignore them or keep my pleasures as small as possible.

"There you are"

Mr. Collins comes over to me as Lizzy and Charlotte greet us as well.

"Mr. Collins."

"Perhaps you will do me the honour, Miss Adelaide?"

"I did not think you danced, Mr Collins."

"I do not think it incompatible with the office of a clergyman to indulge in such an innocent diversion. In fact, several people, well, Her Ladyship included, have complimented me
on my lightness of foot."

He looks down at his feet as I look to my sisters and friend. They seem like they want to laugh, I look over at Mr. Collins and I smile.

——————————————————

I'm standing between lizzy and Jane, Mr. Bingley is dancing once again with Jane. I smile at the two, I do hope to have something like that. The music starts and I follow forward as every other dancer does. I walk around the person as Jane does the same, we quickly get into a circle as Jane speaks up.

"Apparently, your Mr Wickham has been called on some business to town."

We split up as Mr. Collins tries to talk.

"To be sure, dancing is of little consequence to me..."

I walk around Lizzy and move back towards him.

"but it does.. It does harbour the opportunity to lavish..."

Jane moves across and grabs Mr. Bingleys hand, as they quickly separated again.

"To lavish upon one's partner..."

Jane looks to Lizzy and frowns, we're standing in a long row.

"And my informer tells me that he would have been less inclined...."

Mr. Collins comes back towards us.

"delicate attentions which is my...."

We do the exact same thing, he seems to become frustrated.

"That he'd be less inclined to be engaged, were it not for the..."

I think lizzy liked the young man, maybe he would have been good for her. I just have a feeling that something is wrong with the story he told us.

"Were it not for the presence at Netherfield of a certain gentleman."

"Which is my primary object of the evening...."

"That gentleman barely warrants the name."

He sighs and stops in the middle of the floor as everyone is dancing around him

"It is my intention, if I may be so bold, to remain close to you throughout the evening."

I stop and look at my sisters, I move over as people continue to dance.