Chapter 2 - The Wilds of Krimoa

Skart hadn't been exaggerating the craggly overgrownness of the mountains. We climbed for hours, eating lunch on the go, because Skart deemed it too dangerous to stop when we were so exposed. When I took a chance to look back the way we had come, I was disheartened by how close we still seemed to the base of the mountains.

Beside me, David panted and sponged his brow. At first, he'd tried to hide the affects the climb was having on him, but as time had passed, he'd grown too tired to do so. I was grateful for the past months of warm, full meals which had strengthened me and helped me recover from my time in the palace, for winded as I was, I couldn't imagine trying to climb in that state. Skart was the only one who seemed completely unaffected by the tough ascent. He whistled or hummed a song occasionally and never missed an opportunity to tell a story that would help us forget how tired our legs were.

"Looky here, little one." Skart's soft voice drew my attention to a cluster of delicate white flowers. "It's Sparrow's Heart." He breathed. "There's one good that's come from the mountains reclaiming themselves: I haven't seen any of these since I was a boy in the North Country."

The longer I was with the big man, the more I was amazed at how gentle he could be. He spoke with all the tender care of a mother to her child—as if he weren't big enough to tackle a wild boar with his bare fists. I smiled at his gentleness, and strangely, I felt a hint of jealousy take root in my heart. How long had it been since I'd been able to marvel in the small wonders of nature? A lump rose in my throat as I looked at the flowers which I would have walked past without sparing a second glance if Skart hadn't drawn my attention to them.

"Here, little one." Skart reached down as if to pick one of the flowers, but I reached out and stopped him.

"Don't." Something about the situation made me whisper. "Didn't you say they were rare?"

"They were, but now that the mountain is reclaiming itself, there will be fields of them again." He smiled, gently brushing my hand away. His large fingers were surprisingly deft as he plucked a single, delicate flower and tucked it behind my ear. "It suits you." He smiled. "You're very alike—small and too pretty to belong in this world."

I looked up at him and smiled. It was a quick expression and more genuine than I had managed in what felt like an eternity. There was something so good and honest about this big man. He was so unlike the horrid vipers of King Erik's court that I had grown accustomed to that his kindness broke through the walls I had put in place around my heart. He seemed startled by the suddenness of the smile and stepped back slightly.

"I'm sorry, little one." Something like guilt played across his features.

My head tilted slightly to the side. "What for?"

He heaved a sigh, shaking his head firmly. "Nothing, little one, I forgot myself for a moment."

As if uncomfortable, he took another step back, raking a hand through his already rumpled hair and refusing to look at me. I straightened and stared at him, confused at the sudden change in his demeanor. I studied him for some sort of clue, but his features were almost completely blank.

He looked at me quickly, and an almost sheepish smile tugged at his lips. "Looking like that, you do remind me of—" He cut himself off with a sharp shake of his head, his smile turning sad. "We should get outta here." He rubbed his enormous hand under his nose, turning to look for David.

We had paused long enough that the older man was almost caught up. I hadn't realized how far behind he'd fallen until now, and a sharp twinge of guilt pierced my heart. I should have thought of him before and stayed beside him.

"How much further do you plan to go?" David wheezed as he reached us, plopping heavily on a stump.

"We've a ways to go in order to find proper shelter." Skart cleared his throat. "At this rate, we won't be able to stop until late." His voice turned slightly grim, a reminder of the dangers of our climb.