Chapter 25 - A Start

*The above will give you an idea of what the Second village looks like :D

We watched the rainfall until evening set in, and when Haoran's servants came out to light lanterns, they found us silently sitting on the steps. I had felt for the past hour that Kotaro wanted to say something, but apparently, he couldn't find the words to say, so we'd just sat there, each waiting for the other to speak. At the servants' appearance, Kotaro seemed to make up his mind.

"Skart is going down the mountain to try to get his sister." He exhaled softly. "He'll be passing Lund."

He turned to look at me as if to gauge my reaction. A lump welled in my throat without any real reason, and I looked away from his searching gaze. I knew what he was going to say before the words left his mouth.

"We should inform David's family of his passing."

I clamped my jaw so tightly my teeth ached. Memories of the cold, official letter I had received following my uncle's death danced through my head. I was going to have to deliver the same, painful message to someone else, and the thought physically pained me.

"I can write something—"

"No." My voice had more force than I had anticipated. "I'll do it."

He didn't ask any more questions, and I was glad for the silence. I didn't trust my voice to speak without breaking completely. My head was swarmed with thoughts of all the things David had planned and wanted to do, but my foolish desires had taken it all from him and his family.

"Forgive me." A quiet voice interrupted my thoughts. "Lord Haoran has requested the presence of the Fifth, and he has suggested that milady get some sleep."

The words drew me a little out of my sorrow as I realized they were probably going to put me back in that room. I didn't know how to ask them for another without seeming ridiculous or ungrateful, and as I opened my mouth to speak some foolish excuse, I reached over for Kotaro's hand.

"The room she was in was too far from the courtyard." Kotaro spoke before I even had the chance to touch him. "We might need to leave at a moment's notice. Prepare another place for her."

There was regal command to his tone that left no room for questions, and as my hand closed over his fingers, thankfulness overwhelmed my heart. A different sort of emotion bubbled to life, too. Before I spoke, he always saw my needs even when no one else did.

"Of course." The servant said. "If milady will just follow me."

Kotaro's eyes locked with mine, and he tilted his head slightly. For a split second, the urge to hold onto his hand and not leave his side until the world was in better condition danced through my mind, but then realization struck me, and I pulled away from him. Getting quickly to my feet, I turned to the servant, hoping neither of them saw the rich blush coloring my cheeks for no reason whatsoever.

"Would it be possible for someone to bring me some paper and writing utensils once we get to my new room?" I said to the servant as we walked down the hall, my voice quiet to mask my emotions.

"Of course, milady. I will see to it myself."

The words weren't exactly comforting. A part of me had half hoped for a refusal, so I could postpone writing the terrible letter, but it was something that needed to be done no matter how I delayed it. Tonight was going to be a long night.

-<<<>>>-

As some form of punishment for their foolishness, Haoran refused to allow Bohai and Ayan to receive treatment for any of their injuries except the ones on their faces. No one told me exactly what happened, but I could fill in the blanks: they'd beat each other until neither of them could move. I couldn't see that it had done much to improve their relationship, either, for all the glares they were continuously throwing in each other's direction—punctuated with rude gestures and facial expressions on Ayan's part.