"It's not your fault," Bjorn argued in a stern tone, cupping her face in his hands as he tried to get her to look him in the eyes, "Look at me! This is not your fault. Freya chose to go back. She sacrificed herself for us all. She's a hero. She's in Valhalla now, feasting with Ragnar and your brothers."

"What about the child I lost, Bjorn?" She asked him in a whisper, "You wanted so badly to have another child. I had begun to as well and now, he's gone."

"But it's not your fault," Bjorn replied, shaking his head in response, "The gods simply took him before we were ready."

Ylva didn't respond to what her husband had said. She sighed and looked down at the ground, refusing to speak another word. She knew Bjorn was just trying to help but she didn't want someone to tell her everything was going to be okay.

It wasn't.

They both knew that. She knew the hardships of being a ruler of a city and she knew the costs. It was only the beginning of the losses they were about to experience.

"Ylva..." Bjorn began to say as he went to reach out for her.

"Bring me Gunnhild," Ylva suddenly demanded, causing Bjorn's face to fall.

"What?" Bjorn asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"Bring me Gunnhild," She insisted and Bjorn sighed in defeat, "I want to see Gunnhild."

Bjorn stared at Ylva for a long moment before standing up. He hesitantly nodded and turned to walk away.

Ylva watched him leave and began to tear up, knowing it was cruel of her to do such a thing. He had been trying to comfort her and instead, she asked for Gunnhild. She sighed and glanced down at the ground, quick to wipe her tears.

_____

In the Great Hall of Kattegat, the people who had come from both Kattegat and Ashton to see their king and queen cheered when Lagertha appeared in front of them. They cheered even louder when Bjorn and Ylva walked through.

Bjorn was smiling widely, clapping his hands together while Ylva only had the slightest of smiles on her face. "People of Kattegat..." Bjorn spoke up loudly, "I told you that when Ylva and I became King and Queen that our rule would be very different than that of Ivar's. And we mean to keep that pledge," He explained and the crowds cheered loudly, "Ivar built a wall around our town. He discouraged foreigners, outlawed free speech, and dissent amongst our own people. Kattegat and Ashton can only survive and grow prosperous through trade, not conquest. That is my belief. This is your meeting, your Thing. Your chance to me and Ylva with whatever you want, and we will listen. We are but your humble servants."

The crowd laughed and cheered, beginning to call out Bjorn and Ylva's names.

Ylva turned and couldn't help but smile slightly, only to have it fade when the prisoners taken during the battle were brought forward.

"Who are these men?" Ylva suddenly spoke up as she walked toward the man standing in front.

He was glaring at her, his eye completely red and numerous scars scattered along his face.

"I know who they are," A voice spoke up, causing Ylva to frown and turn when she saw it was Hvitserk. He was sitting in a chair, looking completely drunk, "All of these men collaborated willingly with Ivar's regime. They served as his bodyguards. They did his bidding, whatever that was. However cruel, however depraved. They did it without compunction, without a thought even for their own families."

"He's right," Halig spoke up in a calm tone, causing Ylva and Bjorn to turn to their son with wide eyes. He walked over to Whitehair, glaring up at him, "They burned alive those who were brave enough to stand against them. I was nearly one of them and this..." He trailed off and pointed at Whitehair, "This man right here once tried to kill me as I recall."