18

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 18. Farewell

 Farewell

In Kattegat, Ylva and Bjorn had called forth the people of both Kattegat for a great announcement. They stood together, overlooking their subjects from their second kingdom. Ylva had already traveled with Rorik, her heir, to Ashton, where she asked for their support in fighting King Harald's rule. Of course, Ylva's subjects agreed without hesitation that Ylva was their one true ruler and would die before letting King Harald come and take that right from her.

"People of Kattegat!" Bjorn shouted in a low tone, "Your Queen and I have suffered an immense defeat. King Harald Finehair has defeated us in the election for the kingship of Norway. Perhaps we had underestimated our opponent. Whatever the case, King Harald Finehair is now King of Noway! And we are isolated, vulnerable, and alone. My wife fears he will launch an attack very soon as we are a prize worth taking. Two great and prosperous kingdoms that have been united now for many years. Knowing what you know now, do you want us to step down as your rulers? If you do, you can pledge your allegiance to King Harald and save Kattegat and Ashton from destruction."

The crowds seemed to exchange looks with each other yet none spoke up.

Unable to bear it anymore, Ylva stepped forward. "I am ashamed of all of you!" She spoke up in a loud tone, looking around at the crowds of men and women, "Here stands the son of Ragnar Lothbrok asking for your support. You know Bjorn. And you know me. You know of what he and I have achieved. And now he tells you that perhaps the gods don't favor him anymore. But I don't believe that is the case."

She paused and grabbed Bjorn's hand. She held it and smiled at him slightly, just before looking back at the crowd. "I think the gods love Bjorn Ironside. As I do. As you all do. You love Bjorn. Just as you love me. And you have every reason to do so. You should acclaim him. What other hero would you want, if not Bjorn?" She continued as she watched the crowds light their torches in support, "Here stands Bjorn Ironside! He fights for you! As I fight for you!"

The crowd began to cheer and Ylva began to walk around, continuing her speech. "King Harald wants the kingdoms of Kattegat and Ashton. But he will never have them. They are rightfully ours and none shall take them from us. Bjorn and I will fight until our dying breath for you all, as will our children. For you are not just our subjects, you are our people, our friends, and our family. We have fought together, we have spilled blood together! We are all a family here! And what does a family do? We protect and fight for each other. And that is what we shall do!"

"All Hail King Bjorn! All hail Queen Ylva!" The crowds shouted and Bjorn turned to Ylva, who smiled at her.

He moved closer to her, wasting no time kissing her. "We shall fight side by side once more," He reminded her and Ylva nodded.

"And none shall come between us," She agreed in a stern tone, "I will fight for you, our family, and this land until my dying breath, do you understand?"