6

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 6.  Don't Deny The Gods

  In the Great Hall of Kattegat, Bjorn walked into his bedroom to find Ingrid in the middle of clearing off the table

  In the Great Hall of Kattegat, Bjorn walked into his bedroom to find Ingrid in the middle of clearing off the table. "Why do you follow me?" Bjorn suddenly asked, noticing that wherever he seemed to go, Ingrid seemed to be close by, "Everywhere I go, I feel your eyes upon me."

Slowly, Ingrid turned to face him, a calm expression on her face. "I think I should be with you."

"Why?" Bjorn asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"I know I'll bring you luck and good fortune," She answered confidently and Bjorn shook his head.

"How can you say that?" Bjorn asked, frowning as she walked over to him.

"Because it is true," She answered and slowly moved toward him, "Every man I choose to go with has luck and good fortune."

"You are wasting your time," Bjorn complained as he watched Ingrid walked around him, "I have a wife that I love very much. More than you could ever know."

"What is that to me?" Ingrid questioned, standing to his right with a mischievous smirk on her face. She sighed, leaning closer to him as she spoke in a low, seductive tone, "I can help you. If you were with me, you would never doubt yourself again. And you will be the greatest king to ever live."

"You have chosen the wrong man," Bjorn argued as he turned to look at her, "I told you, I am not free nor would I want to be."

"I know. That is your problem. But you can solve it," Ingrid informed him, smiling slightly as she leaned closer to him, "After all, you're the king. Why should only the Queen revel in the freedoms of being with others?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Bjorn complained as Ingrid leaned toward him until her face was just centimeters away from his.

"The whole world knows that Queen Gunnhild is with Queen Ylva and not with you. Why should she be the only one to take part in such pleasures?" Ingrid asked, smirking slightly, "Why not have the same? Why not be with me?"

Bjorn stared at Ingrid for a long moment. He sighed, leaning closer to Ingrid.

Just as she thought he was going to kiss her, he stepped back and walked away, causing her to sigh in defeat. "The answer is still no and always shall be," He declared, leaving without another word said.

_____

  On the shores of Kattegat, Hvitserk sat alone, shivering as he downed what remained in the flask he held. The images of Freya fighting for her life in the Great Hall of Kattegat consumed his mind. Hearing a scream similar to hers, he gasped and frantically looked around.