15

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 15. Queen of All Norway

 It took the man a moment before he regained himself

It took the man a moment before he regained himself. He stepped forward, beginning to walk around the woman. "Ylva the Dread! Shieldmaiden. Queen of Ashton and Kattegat," He began to speak to her in a loud tone, "Your husband banished me. Took away everything I had. My family, my pride, my identity. He thought I would just crawl away to the forest and die like some animal! But that is not my way. I fought for Ivar and for Freya, but in other circumstances, I would have fought for Bjorn. Or for you! As I served your daughter. I am Viking!"

Slowly, Whitehair, removed his helmet and pointed at the branding on his forehead. "Bjorn did this to me! I can never get rid of it!. But now I can win back my self-respect. I can kill you, Ylva the Dread, the most famous shield-maiden who ever lived. The wife of Bjorn Ironside and the mother of many great warriors who are the future of our people. I can you, she-wolf. And I will!"

"My husband didn't brand you for being loyal to Ivar, you fool!" Ylva scoffed loudly as she pointed her sword toward the man, "He branded you for being disloyal to his father, Ragnar, and everything Ragnar stood for. In his position, I would have done the same. For I believed in Ragnar and his ideals as well. So if I must die on this day for what Ragnar believed in, for what I believed in, then so be it. It shall be worth it," She explained in a low, stern tone while glaring at the man standing before her, "I knew all along it was a mistake for my husband to spare you. And in the process, you have taken both my youngest boy and my brother's only son, his heir. I will not let you take anymore. You will die on this day, Whitehair. Even if I must go down with you."

"Good," Whitehair replied in a calm tone and nodded, "Then be prepared."

Ylva stood in place, moving slowly in a circle around Whitehair. She waited for him to make the first move and it wasn't long before he did.

He grunted and lunged at Ylva, only have her block his form of attack. He slashed at her twice more but the woman was able to avoid it before she was wounded.

They continued to deliver numerous forms of attacks to each other. Ylva fought with every emotion in her, her slashes and swings becoming nothing but anger and rage instead of being actual thought out.

Despite that, all the emotion within her caused her to have the strength she never thought she had. She had swung at Whitehair so many times the man became tired and practically weak.

She swung her shield at him and it ended up being enough to send him flying to the ground.

As he went to get up, Ylva walked toward him. She lifted her leg, wasting no time kicking him in the face.

He fell flat on his back and Ylva walked toward him, wearing an emotionless expression. She watched him try to reach for his sword, only to end up with Ylva's sword driven right through his wrist.