13

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 13. Failure

  On the docks, the crowd cheered as they stood near the water

On the docks, the crowd cheered as they stood near the water. Olaf, Bjorn, Ylva, and the others Kings and Queens gathered for the election.

"I cast my vote..." One of the men trailed off as he raised a black rune, "To Ylva the Dread."

He dropped the rune into the water and Ylva watched on, trying to contain her satisfaction.

She turned to glance at Bjorn, who was uneasily moving in his seat.

Another Jarl stood up, grabbing a rune before walking to the middle of the platform. "My vote goes to King Harald," He announced before aggressively tossed the rune into the water.

Just then, a dark-haired woman walked up and grabbed one of the runes. "And mine to Earl Thorkell."

Another man walked over and ended up voting for Bjorn. The voting continued and the one who seemed to be getting the most votes seemed to be tied between Ylva and Harald.

_____

At Lagertha's farm, Gyda stood with Asa and Thyra, helping their grandmother with dinner. She walked over to the table to grab a cooking utensil, only to stop when she heard the horn outside.

Feeling uneasy, Gyda rushed over to the two young girls and placed her hands on their shoulders. "Now, we do what we planned, you hear me?" She asked the two girls, who immediately nodded.

Gyda sighed, leaning closer before she kissed both of them on the forehead. "I love you," She whispered to them softly before leading them toward the door.

"Prepare for the attack!" Gyda shouted as she ran outside, "Go to your stations!"

Gyda walked over to one of the women, handing Asa and Thyra to her. "Look after them," She demanded in a stern tone, "They must be protected at all costs. They are heirs to the thrones of Kattegat and Ashton."

"Of course," The woman responded and nodded her head, "I shall protect them with my life."

Once Thyra and Asa were out of sight, Gyda walked over to her grandmother and the other shieldmaidens, unsheathing her sword.

"Come! To your stations. Go," Lagertha demanded in a stern tone.

_____

At the election, Ylva sighed as she watched a woman walk over and vote for Harald.

Slowly, Harald and Ylva turned to look at each other, seeing as though they were at equal votes.

Just then, an unknown man walked over, prepared to make his vote. He reached toward the black runes belonging to Ylva but at the last moment, turned and grabbed Harald's instead. "I cast my vote for King Harald!" He announced loudly, causing Ylva's eyes to widen in alarm.