16

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 16. Mother of Norway

At Lagertha's farm, Ylva laid in bed beside Thyra and Asa

At Lagertha's farm, Ylva laid in bed beside Thyra and Asa. All three females were fast asleep when Ylva suddenly shot up from the bed. She groaned loudly, clutching the wound on her side as she began to breathe heavily. She began to look around, heaving for breath as she teared up.

A feeling had overcome her suddenly, a feeling that told her that someone she loved had died. And for some odd reason, she knew it to be Lagertha.

  In the Great Hall of Kattegat, Halig stood in front of Lagertha's corpse. He wore an unreadable expression, glancing around at all the people who surrounded them. They were all defeated. After all, Lagertha had always been a hero to them all, a mother of Norway.

He stood in front of his grandmother's body, staring down at her. He sighed softly, trying to contain himself while Torvi sobbed while standing beside him.

Lagertha had always treated her like a daughter. It was why Lagertha had even considered Torvi's children with Sihtric as her grandchildren.

"Who killed her?" Ubbe asked and Halig glanced at him briefly before lowering his head.

"No one knows, Lord Ubbe," One of the guards responded and Rorik scoffed in response.

"What was she doing here?" Torvi asked as she continued to sob, "On her own with nobody?"

"Poor Lagertha," Amma spoke softly as she walked over to Halig. She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. She knew when Rorik returned, he'd be devastated at the news.

"Where's Gunnhild and Ylva?" Torvi asked as she began to look around, "My children. Ylva's children. Were her dreams true?"

Ubbe quickly walked over to his wife and shook his head. "You don't know," He argued, lightly grabbing ahold of her in comfort.

"No, no, I have to go. I have to find out," Torvi argued and roughly snatched herself out of her husband's grip. She sobbed, rushing off without another word said.

Ubbe sighed, turning to glance at Amma. "Go and help her," He insisted and she nodded, following after Torvi without another word said.

Once Torvi was out of sight, Ubbe turned to Halig and some of their most trusted men. "Where is my brother, hm?" He questioned them as he walked over to them, "Where is Hvitserk? Go and find him."

"Yes, my Lord Ubbe," One of the men replied and Halig rolled his eyes.

"I need him," Ubbe continued but Halig didn't respond. He simply walked away.

____

  Later that day, Halig walked into the drug house and walked through, searching for Hvitserk since it was his usual spot. Noticing a man lying face down on the ground.