only one of us had to start laughing for everyone to start laughing.

we were contagious to each other.

when we finally caught our breath again, we started looking at the menus.

the boys across the table started fighting over menus when i pushed mine across the table to them.

"thanks clairo," calum stopped their fighting with the extra menu. "now will you two stop fighting?"

"wait, do you know what you want?" luke asked as he took the menu from calum.

"yeah," i said sitting back. "i get the same thing every time."

"strawberry waffles, but she never finishes it cause theyre the size of her face. and she hates coffee so if she gets anything other than water it would be hot chocolate," ashton explained off memory.

"exactly," i said looking over to him, feeling his thumb begin to rub my hand under the table.

i saw calum and luke start to mock us from the other side of the table, rolling their eyes and flicking their hands around.

"she doesnt like coffee," luke said in a high pitch voice.

"and she only likes strawberry waffles," calum continued the voice, dragging on strawberry.

ash and i both kicked one of them each from under the table, receiving "ouch"s from both of them.

"she got you too?" calum asked luke, rubbing his leg.

"no, he did," luke responded, pointing towards ashton.

we both sat there with smirks on out faces.

"god damn clairo, you should be soccer captian," calum said as he pulled his foot up onto booth to continue to rub his leg. "that fucking hurt."

i cocked an eyebrow at him, still a smirk across my face.

we spent the rest of our meal with the same banter we usually had. we spent most of it laughing. im sure the people behind us were probably pissed.

but hey, we were young.

we were alive.

and i was in love.

we drove back in two separate cars, speeding down the freeway as the ashton and luke raced. as soon as i told him i was scared though, he called it off. even if he let luke win, he wouldnt push me.

we drove down the freeway, windows down, blarring whatever harry styles song played next on my playlist.

the one that came on and caught both our attention was adore you.

we screamed the lyrics back and forth to each other, completely letting go.

"honey id walk through fire for you. just let me adore you!" we both yelled as we looked over to each other.

i felt the most alive in these moments, like nothing around us mattered. i didnt care who heard or saw me, i just sang like no one was watching.