Chapter 11 -Trying

"Just keep trying. It's all you can do."

-Unknown

-

Alana's POV

The food came instantly as my father and I took a seat. Without saying much, I just ate the food that was served in front of me, maintaining good manners while answering Maxwell and Patricia Knight's questions.

They asked really basic questions which I could answer easily. They asked a lot about my education and my future job. I was 24 and graduated last year in business according to what my father had wanted me to.

After answering many questions and just plastering on a smile, I think I was handling this okay.

When the main course was served, my dad stepped on my foot and shifted all his weight on my toes as he moved his foot all around mine. The sole of his shoes were jagged, causing my foot to hurt more. I knew he was nudging me to reject them faster so there would be no room for argument and we could go back earlier.

Come on Alana, the faster you do this and succeed, dad will be real proud of you this time...

While everyone was eating the wagyu steak that was just served, I voiced out, "I don't want to marry your son Mr and Mrs Knight. I want to reject your proposal."

As soon as everyone heard what I had just said, they seemed to freeze in their spots.

My eyes darted around the room. Trevor's face held no emotions, Maxwell and Patricia seemed a bit taken aback and Elenore was anxious while looking at everyone's reaction. However, from the corner of my eye, I saw my father's lips slightly curving upwards.

Patricia regained her composure and desperately questioned, "Darling...Why? I mean...It will be great if you give Trevor a chance?"

I plainly reasoned, "I don't want to marry a man I just met as well as just follow a plan that I had no say in. I barely know Trevor." As I said that, I glanced at Trevor, his eyes told me he knew about me more than what I think he knew about me.

Maxwell nodded his head in silence, understanding where I was coming from. After hearing my words, he seemed to be deep in thought.

Maxwell broke the silence that fell upon us, "Alana dear, why not stay with my son for one month? If you don't feel that marriage is possible between you two, then we will scrap this whole idea."

My father frowned, he gritted his teeth. I knew he was frustrated at Maxwell's persistence. He was definitely trying to figure out a way to wiggle us out of this situation.

I failed didn't I...

Trevor was smirking at me, he was definitely liking how all of this was playing out in his favour.

That jerk...Why...

My father was very deep in thought. He was frowning as he looked down at his plate. I knew he was trying to formulate an answer that left no room for negotiation.

He finally spoke up, "I agree with you, Max. However, I am going to get her to start work at my office as my secretary for this month so she can learn the ropes to be ready to take over RiverFord or help Trevor out in future."

Work as his secretary? I really can't escape him right? He can just punish me at work. What's the difference with staying with Trevor for a month?

-

Maxwell seemed really satisfied and Patricia and Elenore were smiling nonstop. All the Knights were satisfied and I wish I could be but all I felt was the anxiety of getting punished by my dad later because I couldn't stop the rejection of the proposal as a whole.

Trevor couldn't hide his smirk at all. He winked at me when I made eye contact with me, causing me to feel something warm inside but I just broke off eye contact and just ate in silence.

I ate my food in silence, nibbling on the vegetables. I lost my appetite thinking of all the possible scenarios I could be in when we go home later...

Soon after much small talk amongst the elders, the lunch came to an end. We said our farewells and got ready to leave.

While I was walking out of the private room, I exhaled deeply. Was I holding my breath? I really didn't know that to think or feel at this point. In addition to this hurricane I was trapped in, I could feel someone's stare on my back.

The next month that is coming in 2 days will definitely be a hard one for me...Please have mercy on me....

-

When I went into the car, my father seemed to be buzzing with some kind of excitement I couldn't quite identify.

He's scaring me...

I sat as far as I could from my father as I looked out at the clear blue sky with only a few clouds in sight. I tried so badly to distract myself but I could not ignore the sinking feeling in my gut.

I tried...I really did. I tried to make sure everything would go to plan...

Did I fail?...

-

When my father and I reached home, he sat down on the couch while I just stood at the door, waiting for him to say just anything.

He was grinning for ear to ear and when I analyzed it for a while, it seemed...genuine?

"You know Alana, it was a stroke of genius for thinking of the idea that came to my head when Maxwell said you should stay with Trevor," he jumped out of the seat ecstatically.

He walked around the living room, he seemed to be delivering some speech as he announced, "Spy on Trevor. Get me documents that would bring the Knights down to rock bottom. You living with him is such a great opportunity for that, don't ya think?"

I just gaped at him in shock, staying rooted to the spot. How could he-

He continued, "Gain his trust and just get the opportunity to get into the room where he keeps important documents. Steal them and give them to me. You'll be working as my secretary so you can pass the documents to the media team. This will expose them to the world."

"The legal team can sue them too because they broke the contract by getting into a scandal and the media team will ruin their reputation. Being second sucks. I will finally be the richest in Averna. Watch me Alana, I will definitely succeed and it's all counting on you," my father said as he satrted walking towards me.

After saying all that, he came right up to me and gripped my shoulders, staring straight into my eyes. I looked into his familiar green eyes that now held something different?

He seemed pleased with me?

I knew why. I was able to get him what he wanted. I was key in his plan.

"Make me proud Alana," my father whispered into my ear.

Something sparked inside of me when I heard what he just said. I knew his plan was horribly wrong. I mean ruining a family's life like that to get the father I knew back? Nothing could be more wrong than that.

A voice inside me convinced me, "It's worth it Alana."

It's just gaining a person's trust and taking some documents away. Not that hard.

I can achieve this and make my dad proud. He and I will finally be able to be happy together.

I will try.

-

Is Alana turning bad?
Keep reading to find out ya? :D

This story is getting more and more views and I am so happy there are people just following this story in general. I will keep improving to give y'all a great story.

(lowkey I don't think this chapter was super well written but I will try to make it better for the next few chapters to come) -> okay I edited it to be better

Enjoy this chapter! :D