Chapter 36 -Take a Step

"Healing takes time and asking for help is a courageous step."

-Mariska Hargitay

-

Trevor's POV

"Mr Knight? Could you sign right over here? Thank you!" a nurse informed me while I was looking over Alana's discharge documents.

Alana has been in the hospital for three weeks now and Doctor Kim thinks she's ready to go back home. Today I needed to sign all the documents to approve her discharge as a guardian as well as pay for the hospitalisation fees and the medicines she has to take.

Alana has fully healed physically but still needs to be on medications because her body is very malnourished with certain nutrients like calcium. She was thus prescribed many vitamins and some painkillers just in case she overexerts herself.

After all the paperwork, I stepped into the room where Alana was all changed and standing next to her luggage. I brought her a pastel pink hoodie as well as white sweatpants and my oh my can I just say she rocked that outfit.

She was trying to figure out how to use the new phone that I bought her just in case her father tried anything on any device that was given to her by him.

Her entire face was scrunched up cutely and she was sighing in frustration over how one rectangular screen could be so confusing.

What did I do in my past life to get so lucky now?

I walked into the ward and wrapped my arms around her from behind, feeling enveloped by the warmth she gave off.

"Hey Trevor can you teach me how to use this thing? This phone is advanced as heck..." Alana sighed.

"Hahaha sure Snowflake don't worry too much about it. Just hold '1' and it will speed dial me. That's actually all you have to know," I replied.

"I-" Alana was flabbergasted at my somewhat witty reply to avoid teaching her (a joke by me).

"Hahaha Snowflake, gotcha! Now let's go home shall we?" I inquired.

I felt a foreign warmth spread throughout me, knowing that the word 'home' now means something new to both of us.

She nodded my head as she linked arms with me happily as we walked together to the car.

-

Alana's POV

It has been a week since I've came home.

The word 'home' never felt so different yet so familiar at the same time.

I used to think coming home was the worst because my father would be waiting for me. On very little occasions was I let off the hook but coming to think of it I was never off it. I lived my entire life in fear and "home" was a place where I wanted to run away from.

However this home. This home is different.

It makes me feel welcomed and it is somewhere where I would run to if I needed to escape. I loved it.

I was basking in the warmth of the sunlight in the garden when I saw Trevor standing on the balcony from his room looking right at me.

"Take a picture! It lasts longer!" I shouted towards Trevor.

He seemed a little taken aback that I used that against him but his wits were something I had a hard time competing with.

He quickly took out his phone and actually took a photo of me.

"HAH SNOWFLAKE! BET YOU THOUGHT I COULDN"T DO IT!" Trevor bantered as he stuck out his tongue before running into the house.

Oh the game is on...