Chapter 9 : Baseball practice

Start from the beginning

"Maura, take off your shirt."

Right after I said that, I realized how it sounded like. And from the confused look that she gave me I saw she didn't understand what I really meant to say.

"You take off yours first," she answered back with a smirk.

"I just want to make sure you're okay. And you're not wounded. That's why I said-"

"Yeah, I know. I was joking," she said and started unbuttoning her shirt.

"It doesn't look good," I said after I saw that she had a small wound on her rib. "Maybe we should put some ice on it."

"There's ice in the refrigerator."

"Really? I thought you keep it in the oven," I said sarcastically.

"Now it's not a time for your sarcasm, Jane."

"Alright. You're right. I am sorry, Maura," I apologized and went to search for the ice.

After I found it, I sat next to her on the couch and I gently put the ice bag on her hurt rib.

"It's cold," she said, her body trembling a bit. She caught the ice bag with her hand so I let go of it. She was sitting like that for a few minutes without complaining. But she was wincing, moving uncomfortably, I could see that.

"Is it that bad, Maura?" I asked pretty concerned about her. "Let me see," I said and bent down, moving closer to her as she moved the ice bag away. I looked at her rib closely - I think it wasn't that bad but I hoped it didn't hurt too much. I couldn't resist so I just reached out and touched her rib carefully. I looked at her eyes - she was staring intently at mine. She looked so hot and my gentle touch was making her body quiver. I bent down and gently kissed her rib, placing small kisses all over her stomach. She dropped the ice bag on the floor but she didn't seem to care. She didn't protest so I continued. After I kissed her rib I went up, kissing her breasts. She moved her hands on my back, gently caressing me, bringing me closer to her body. My kisses became more passionate and persistent, getting caught up in the moment. She moaned and arched her body as I started kissing her neck. I took off her unbuttoned shirt, my mouth never breaking the contact with her neck.

"No, Jane. Stop."

I heard her say it, barely whispering so I quickly stopped.

We stood there like that in awkward silence. I didn't know what to think and even more - I had no idea what to say. After a few minutes which felt like a whole eternity, Maura broke the silence.

"Would you like to take a shower? Maybe we can shower and then eat something?"

"Yeah. That sounds great."

"Okay," she said and stood up and I quickly followed her.

"Jane, where are you going?"

"To the shower," I muttered nervously under my breath, biting my lip with frustration. I sensed that I did something wrong but I didn't know what yet.

"I meant separately."

She must have said that earlier. Clarify things up. We kissed and she moaned and could anyone blame me for thinking that she would want to shower together. After that hot kiss I think that no one would be able to think clearly. But I felt stupid thinking that she wanted me there with her. How stupid I could be sometimes! That was probably the most awkward moment in my entire life.

"Oh, yeah. Of course. I know that." I lied and sat back on the couch. "I just thought I'll be first in the shower. That's all."

Maybe lying wasn't my best option because I could see it written all over her face - she wasn't buying it.