CHAPTER 13: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

If you think escaping from an entire Scorpion castle is easy, you're wrong. I didn't name this chapter 'Mission: Impossible' for nothing.
It had started simply enough. Hannah had turned to us as we climbed the stairs and instructed, "Stan, you'll be our scout; you'll lead us outta here and check anywhere we could get to make sure the coast is clear."

Stan nodded as Hannah turned to me, "Jones, you and Mac'll be our defense. If we ever get spotted, you two would be center stage in making sure we leave in one piece. Also, if anywhere we go, we encounter any trouble, you two would make sure none of us gets hurt. You don't have to fight back exactly; just hold'em back till we're all safe," she narrowed her eyes at us, "Got it?"

"Yup," Mac gave her a thumbs-up as I nodded. I squeezed Sal's hand a little; I was ready to defend her and get her out of here at any cost.

Hannah turned to Natalia, "Take care of Sal for Jones while he's busy and make sure he doesn't slow us down," Natalia nodded, and Hannah turned to me, "Jones, give Sal to her. She's safer with her."

I nodded as Natalia reached for Sal, but she held me tighter and scooted away from her. "No," she said firmly, "I wanna stay with Mr. Jones."

"Sal," I told her, "It's okay. Natalia won't hurt you. She's a friend."

Sal turned in Natalia's direction. "Na," she struggled to pronounce, "Ta. Lia."

Natalia smiled, "You can call me Nat."

"Nat," Sal nodded, "A friend."

"Yeah," Natalia reached for her, but she shook her head, "I still wanna stay with Mr. Jones."

Hannah sighed, flustered, then told me, "As long as you can protect her while fending off enemies, she can stay with you," she raised an eyebrow, "Is that possible?"

I nodded and carried Sal up, and she sat down on my shoulder blade, with both of her legs hanging down my shoulders.

Hannah nodded towards Stan, and he ascended the stairs ahead of us. By the time we were at the top of the stairs, he had already opened the door out, "Coast's clear," he told us, "Follow me; and hurry."

He went out the door into a long vast corridor and ran across it, then forward, the rest of us right behind him. Two doors down the corridor, he stopped and listened, then slowly opened the door and peeked inside. A second later, he turned to us and put a finger to his lips, then ushered us inside.

Once I got in, I widened my eyes. We were in a large bedroom, with a dressing mirror beside a black wardrobe. A few arrows and spears lay carelessly in the room, all sparking with dull orange electricity and a suit of armor stood right next to a red bed, on which slept-

"The Madawaki," Hannah barely whispered, then turned to Stan, "Why are we here?"

"There's a secret passageway in this room," Stan explained, carefully closing the door, "It leads straight to the weapons room, which leads to the training arena, and from there," he looked around the room, "We get down the corridor that would lead us to the castle's kitchen. There's a backdoor we could use there that'll lead us outside."

He tiptoed across the room to the suit of armor, and he held the spear on the suit's hand and pulled.

The wardrobe shifted to reveal a dark narrow passageway, and Stan walked in. "Come on," he turned to us, "We gotta leave before we wake up the Madawaki; he's not a real deep sleeper."

He disappeared down the passageway, with Hannah and Natalia behind him. I was about to go in and join them when I noticed Mac observing the sleeping Madawaki.