CHAPTER 14: FUGITIVE

The second the Madawaki gave out his order, Hannah snapped into action.

The glow in her eyes disappeared, and she yelled, "Jones, cover me! Mac, grab the reins and try to retreat!"

I threw fire in the air as the scorpion practically went beserk, rushing around in blind circles. Mac grabbed its reins and pulled as hard as he could.

Arrows zipped past us so fast I almost couldn't see them. The good news was that with all the fire I was throwing around in the air I doubted the soldiers had a clear shot of any of us. Just to make sure she was safe, I stood between Sal and the incoming arrows.

"Stan!" Hannah glanced at him, "Try distracting our scorpion!"

"Won't that make me prone to getting shot?" Stan asked, but Hannah yelled, "Just go!"

Stan flew over to the beast's front and slashed a khopesh at it. It growled and snapped at him several times, forcing Stan to fly back. The scorpion gave chase as Stan led it away from the army.

In the midst of all the chaos, Hannah reached out a hand to Natalia, "If you want us to make it out of here, I'll need your help."

"My help?"Natalia raised an eyebrow, "How?"

Hannah hesitated again, then she said, "Listen, whatever happens, I hope you forgive me..."

Natalia frowned, "For what?"

Hannah sighed, took a deep breath in, and closed her eyes, "I'm sorry."

Hannah grabbed at Natalia's forehead and placed her hand on it.

For a few seconds, Natalia's eyes were wide in surprise and confusion. Gradually, the surprise turned to fear, then to outright panic. Natalia opened her mouth, but the only word that came out was a quiet, "No..."

Then her eyes glowed green.

And when Hannah opened her eyes, they were green, too.

I saw it from the corner of my eye, but when I realised what was going on, I turned to Hannah, "Hannah, what are you doing?!"

A determined expression on her face, she said, "Saving us."

Hannah had once told me that she couldn't control humans because we had way too many thoughts for her to gain control of. But if she wasn't controlling Natalia..."Hannah, "I growled, "What. Are. You. Doing?!"

"Taking control of her memories..." Hannah answered, "If her memories could trigger so much emotion before..."

"Emotion?! How's that gonna help us?!"I threw a couple more flames that blocked the Madawaki and his army from sight. Then through the flames, I saw them charging at us. "Oh, crap. Hannah! They're coming!!"

Hannah cursed, then yelled, "Mac, leave the reins! Stan, get back here NOW!"

The two did as she ordered, but before the scorpion could go berserk, Hannah placed a palm on its back. Its eyes glowed green as Hannah muttered, "I've never done this simultaneously before, so let's hope I don't end up splitting my consciousness to nothing..."

All three of us boys turned to Hannah, "WHAT?!"

That's when Natalia started crying.

She scooted away from Hannah, but her eyes kept glowing green, "No..." she begged, "Please, stop..." As we watched, she started shaking, like she was at the mercy of her worst enemy, "Daddy, no, please..."

"Daddy?"Mac raised an eyebrow, but then Stan realized, "You're...you're making her relive her past..." he turned to Hannah, "No! Don't!"

He grabbed at her, but Hannah said, "Stanley. For your own safety, get back..."