Chapter 8

The trip to the capital was only a couple of hours long but the jostling of the carriage and Erwin's presence did little to calm my growing nerves. I let out a too shakey breath and closed my eyes as I focused on the constant whirling of the wheels letting my head fall back against the seat as I steadied my breathing.

This plan made me immeasurably uncomfortable especially as I was useless like this. I trusted Erwin with my life but he was well known for his risks and they definitely don't always pay off. I can't change the outcome when I can't help. There were just too many variables, too many things that could go wrong. From what I had heard from Armin, the female titan was as sharp as a whip with good instincts. We really didn't know what we were up against, Eren would be good bait but I wasn't convinced he would be enough.

I could feel Erwin's eyes on me and I let out a sigh before leaning toward and flicking my eyes open to look him through narrowed eyes.

"Stop staring Erwin,"

"I wasn't," He lied smoothly, smiling playfully. I glared a little harder before looking away with a click of my tongue trying to ignore the way his smile made me feel.

I stared out of the window bored, watching the fields and small villages pass by while my mind wandered back to risk assessment. When the mps find out what we are doing, wether it's a success or not, it's going to leave the Scouts in a precarious position. Especially Erwin. If it goes wrong, we are the ones who will have to take the blame. They could hang us, the captain's and Erwin. Especially if the death toll is high enough, they'll want someone to take the anger of the people whose lives we could destroy. That couldn't happen though, I wouldn't let anyone die while I could still move. The scouts would be lost without us regardless and those cowering pigs would sooner hide behind the walls.

"Stop getting angry over hypothetical situations Levi, it'll cloud your judgement." His smooth voice interrupted my thoughts and I looked at him through narrowed eyes.

"Shut it eyebrows," I shot back, it was his risky plan that was causing so much trouble.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, not rising to my insult. Which irritated me more.

"How are you going to handle the mps? They're going to kill you," I pointed out.

"They might, but I don't think they will." He replied, I hadn't meant it literally.

"What makes you think that?"

"A hunch," I shot him an incredulous glare.

"Your risking your life on a hunch?" I demanded, an ice lacing my voice. He didn't answer and I sighed, closing my eyes again letting my head fall back. I wouldn't let anything happen to him, it wouldn't be the first time I've been up against the MPs.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp hot pain run up my leg and I let out a low hiss in pain as my eyes snapped open defensively. Erwin's eyes were on mine concerned and I calmed down, mentally kicking myself for overreacting. The carriage must've gone over a bump.

"Is your leg giving you trouble, Levi?" He asked gently and my eyes narrowed into daggers.

"I would be in uniform if it wasn't, Erwin." I reminded him coldly. He smiled lightly at me and I doubled down on my glare, refusing to soften. He met my glare with a certainty that made my mouth go dry and my resolve crumble, his eyes were irratatingly beautiful.

"You know yo-" I began but his strong voice cut off my insult.

"It will be okay, Levi," He said, his voice was gentle.

"I know." I replied curtly. An uncomfortable silence settled over us like a blanket as I stared out of the window and I felt Erwin's gaze on me. I wanted to say something but I didn't know what to say. What was I supposed to say? Oh hey Erwin I'm mad at you because you aren't giving me enough attention. Oh hey Erwin, I'm scared I won't be able to save you either. I sound like a whiny lovesick teenager, I need to get over myself.