߷ C H A P T E R - T H R E E ߷

☁︎︎ C H A P T E R - T H R E E ☁︎︎

꧁꧂

"The scrolls tell us this will only bring great destruction to our peaceful lands." The High Court Leader spoke, standing in the middle of the court room whilst my parents listened quietly from their thrones up on a dais to the right of this vast room.

It was filled with all thirty-two members of the court, all dressed in their traditional white robes with a wrap tied around the waist to hold the garment together. Our four Priestesses were sitting silently over to the left of the room, placed at the front of the other court members, dressed in their large orb head pieces that made it look like the moon stood behind their skulls. Their white robes held no shape, and their faces were painted white, with only their bottom lips painted red, symbolising a blood vow of silence.

"How did the scrolls predict this?" My mother, their Queen, asked, "Was it told that the Solarian's would open their borders to the rest of the kingdoms again? To start another war?"

"Possibly, your Majesty," The High Court leader, Countess Banwu, replied. Her deep black hair was slicked back behind her large, pointed ears, her dark skin contrasting brilliantly against the white fur around the lapel of her traditional robe that brushed along the floor as she paced. "The scrolls tell us that when the Solarian's begin to explore once more, there will be a great conflict and an unimaginable death toll. Allowing the savage Solarian Queen's son to stay within these walls will go against everything we've been teaching our people." She continued, projecting her voice well as she looked around the court. Some murmured to agree.

I was hiding in a secret cubby just above the fireplace behind the wall along with Privi. We had snacks, and quietly ate chocolate covered peanuts as we took turns staring through the peep hole at the meeting neither of us were allowed to attend.

It was early, and I had to fight off a yawn every other minute as payment from interrupting my sleep schedule to be here. "Maybe we should have brought coffee." Privi whispered as she lent back from the peep hole and stifled a yawn, too. "Your turn,"

"Thanks." I whispered as we switched places. I noticed Nahm listening intently as he stood next to my Father's throne, an emotionless expression on his face as he wore his crown, but from his eyes I could tell he was frustrated with what he was hearing. He was the next in line, so it made sense he was allowed to go and I wasn't.

"What exactly have we been teaching our people?" Nahm suddenly asked, causing the room to go a little quiet. He had a strong voice, one that held presence in any room he was in. "We thrive in an environment of peace, would casting out the son of the Solarian Queen only cause conflict? He has come to us for help and guidance, and it is our very own law that we do not turn our backs on those who request our assistance." He continued, and I smiled and nodded in agreement.

That surprised me, considering I knew nothing about this Solarian Prince and what he was actually here for. Although, I was not naive enough to truly believe that he was here to learn from the race that his once used for hard labour. There must be something else.

"My Prince," Countess Banwu began, the tone slightly condescending. Nahm's blank facial expression didn't falter. "Are we to put our people, and potentially even ourselves, in danger to uphold this ancient law?"

"What would be the point of having the law then, Countess?" He replied. The room was quiet for a heart beat. "Before you say that I am jumping to defend this Solarian, I am not. But I do strongly believe in the customs we have been teaching our people, and those who have joined us along the way. We are a peaceful race, and base our teachings on gracefulness, unity, seeing and being the light even when surrounded by darkness. Our Goddess would be ashamed to see us give in to our fear and cast someone out simply because of their heritage. One they did not seek out, but was simply born into."