߷ C H A P T E R - T E N ߷

☁︎︎ C H A P T E R -  T E N ☁︎︎

꧁꧂

It had been fourteen days since I arrived in the tropical lands of Oceana, and I hadn't had a moment to myself.

Plans for the wedding had been all I'd been allowed to talk about. Fitting after fitting for the dress plagued my days, as well as choosing colour schemes and music for after the ceremony, which was to be held in Paladis, Oceana's sunny Capitol in the south on the largest of the islands.

Privi had been with me for most of the talks, now set up in a private suite where we lounged for a few hours every day when I was finally released from the bustle of maids and servants assigned to keep me company. Although she suspected they were there to watch over us, seeing as Calder was very aware I did not want to be his wife.

Thoughts of what I'd discovered on the ship a couple of weeks ago had been all I'd been able to think about. And a large part of me worried I'd never set eyes on those documents about the Crown again.

Calder had been away for some time now, and after spending only a few days here to show me around the palace grounds, he'd vanished. Nahm had made sure I was settled and comfortable before he returned to Aruna, making it clear then that our parents had given him a time limit. He'd reassured me that he'd see me soon, but as the next in line... we were both aware that these visits would gradually get few and far between. I tried not to let it sink my mood for too long but... regardless, that storm cloud lingered, not caring about if I wanted it to be there or not.

Privi lounged with me now in the manicured gardens at the rear of the palace in the mid afternoon sun, the glorious west facing view overlooking the vast expanse of the glistening ocean and another residential island. Beneath the short cliff edge a few metres ahead of us, there was a private cove, the sight of it hidden behind a stone half wall. From here I could hear the calm waves lapping up against the boats as they bobbed in the water below. Cypress trees lined the edge of the gardens, their branches rusting gently in the breeze as their scent filled the air with a citrus, balmy, refreshing sweetness.

"Fuck me, it's hot," Privi muttered, disturbing the peace as she snapped her book shut with a soft thud. Both of us were wearing pastel coloured dresses to match the rose patch of the gardens we were nestled in, paired with wide sun hats, tied to our heads with satin ribbon under our chins. The servants shifted with discomfort at Privi's curse.

"More iced tea, madam?" One of them offered, dressed in the pristine white uniform that hurt my eyes every time I looked at it.

"Thank you, goodness. I could get used to this," She giggled happily as I napped, or at least pretended to, my own book lying open and flat on my chest.

My meetings about the wedding had finished about an hour ago, and I felt slightly like a used pin cushion after being poked and prodded with needles so that they could get my sizings right for the apparent work of art that would be my wedding dress.

I couldn't even look forward to seeing it, since although I had a deep fascination and admiration with clothing and style, the significance of this dress made me want to vomit up all the tea and cakes I'd been seduced with in my time being here. I had to admit, however, without Calder here and with no sign of the King or Queen, it had been somewhat peaceful. If I ignored my repetitive thoughts about the Crown of Spheres and how long it would be until Calder returned from wherever he was, I could get used to this life.

I'd tried researching the Crown a few days ago when I had found some spare time hiding in the library from the maids tracking me down for another meeting about catering. I'd managed to get all the way up to myths and legends on the second floor of the white stone, arched ceiling building with its grand oak door and sparkling pillars, before I was found. Since then, I hadn't been able to get back.