Chapter 1

"Get back here Reese!" I yelled to my brother. He had stolen the letter I had written to our handsome neighbor and was threatening to give it to him. I had a tiny, okay massive, crush on the handsome man since he moved in to the house next door two months ago.

Kai was tall with dark blond hair and eyes the color of melted chocolate. He barely knew I existed, but that didn't stop me from being obsessed with the handsome guy. At 26, he was a year younger than me, but I didn't care. My brother, Reese, had become good friends with him over the last two months.

Reese snickered and ran even faster. He had the letter clenched in his fist and was darting through the field, kicking up dust and causing the crows to scatter. They took off in the air, squawking their displeasure, before landing back amongst the crops.

I loved my brother dearly, but at this moment, he was my sworn enemy. He had promised to take care of me when our parents had died in a boating accident almost a year ago. They had taken their small boat to the Nether Island for a gem they needed for a spell. The boat never made it across the river. The Water Dragon had capsized their boat and they had both drowned. After we learned of their depths, Reese made a vow to protect me and keep me safe from harm. Although he was only 2 years older, he sometimes treated me liked a child. He refused to let me talk to any of the young men in our village and refused all requests from the men to court me.

I let out a grunt as I tripped over a short corn stalk. I landed face down in the dirt, my arms spread on either side of me. I laid there trying to catch my breath, but ended up taking in a mouth full of dirt and cornhusks. Reese halted his trek across the field when he realized I was no longer chasing him. He looked behind him and made his way back to my side, worry etched across his features, as I carefully rolled to my back.

"You okay sis?" he asked, reaching out a hand to me.

I took his hand and allowed him to pull me to my feet. I stood there with my hands on my knees trying to stop the pain in my chest from where it collided with the ground. I stood up after a moment, hands on my hips. "Can I please have the letter?" I asked, holding out my hand for it.

Reese sighed then passed it over. "You knew I wasn't going to give it to him, right?" he asked.

I shrugged. "With you, I never know," I said. "There's plenty of things you've done, so I wouldn't put it past you."

Reese's shoulders dropped. "I wouldn't do that to you. I'm not going to humiliate my baby sister," he said.

I lifted an eyebrow in disbelief. "Not humiliate me? Did you forget pushing me into the horse trough in front of Kai? Tying my bra to the back of the carriage? Dropping me in the pile of cow..."

Reese waved his hand in the air. "Yah! I get it," he said. "I've done plenty to embarrass you, but I promise I wasn't going to give it to him.

I nodded and looped my arm with his. "Come on big brother. Let's get home so I can cook you dinner," I said with a smile.

Reese smiled back at me. "I'm going to run to the North Woods first. There's something I need," he said.

My face creased in worry. "What do you need from the North Woods?" I asked, suspicion coloring my voice.

Reese shook his head. "No worries, little sister. Kai is just helping me out with something. I need a fruit from the Golden Peach Tree," he said.

I shook my head frantically. "Reese! NO! You can't take fruit from there. The North Witch will kill you if she finds you near her tree. Or even worse," I said, clinging to his arm.

Reese shook me off with a laugh. "Your priorities are really out of whack," he said. "And don't worry about me getting caught. Kai and I have worked out a plan."

I crossed my arms in anger, trying to hide my fear. "Like I would trust any plan that you and Kai have worked out. Sometimes I think the two of you share one brain cell," I said.

Reese smirked at me then snatched the letter from my hand. "You're in love with one half of this brain cell!" he yelled as he ran across the field towards Kai's house.

It took me a moment to realize what happened. "Reese! I'm going to kill you!" I yelled as I took off after him.

*****

Later that evening, I was sitting in the living room in front of the fire. Reese had ripped another one of his shirts, so I promised I would mend it for him. I was trying to keep my mind busy since he had not returned from the North Woods yet. I was nervous, but I didn't want to let the fear overtake me.

I set the shirt down to add another log to the fire when there was a loud banging on the door. I rushed to the door, pulling it open. Kai was standing there with my brother in his arms and a look of sheer terror on his face. Reese's face was unusually pale, a deathly white. He had pale purple and orange streaks crisscrossing his face, neck and arms. His eyes were closed and his chest was moving up and down quickly.

My eyes widened in horror. "What happened to him? Reese," I said, touching his face, "wake up big brother!" Tears filled my eyes and spilled over my cheeks.

"It was the North Witch," Kai said, hurrying into the room and setting Reese down on the couch. "She caught us trying to pick a fruit from the Golden Peach Tree. She threw a spell at me, but Reese jumped in front of me and took the full force of it." Kai's face dropped in sorrow at the sacrifice his friend had made for him.

I pushed Reese's hair back from his eyes. The orange and purple lines had darkened considerably in the last few moments. "What's wrong with him?" I asked.

Kai sighed. "It's the Curse of Tainted Blood."

My mouth dropped open and I pressed my hands to my face. The Curse of Tainted Blood was one of the most dangerous curses to ever be put upon a man. Legend says that only a powerful witch or wizard can cast the curse. It seeps into the bloodstream, dirtying the blood, essentially a poison. If left for too long, the cursed person ultimately dies a slow and painful death. Most people kill themselves before death can take them since the hallucinations caused by the dirty blood have driven people to sheer insanity. I looked down at my sweet, yet frustrating brother. I didn't want to see him go through that pain. I loved him too much to watch that happen. There was only one thing I could do to make it right...