Fireball

The next day was a whirlwind of emotions. Namjoon had headed back to Wolf Woods, shifting into a beautiful silver wolf, nudging me one last time before taking off. Yoongi had gone back t to the Inferno, the pit becoming fiercely alive from the fire had dropped into it. Jungkook returned to Departed Castle, a wry smile on his face as he said his goodbyes.

Taehyung returned to the Vacant River, knowing he had to make amends with the other sirens. He only said he hope they would have gotten over his indiscretion. Winking at me, I knew he would be all right. Jin gave me a last smile before spreading his magnificent wings. He said he had his own issues to take care of and knew it was time to explain his choices, hoping there would be understanding and mercy. Jimin had returned to Fairy Grove, eager to test out his powers, knowing where he was supposed to be.

Wanting to spend more time with Hoseok, I accepted his offer to fly back to the Daybreak Mountains with him. He hadn't said anything about what had happened last night and I was afraid to bring it up, worried that it was nothing more than a heat of the moment kind of thing. Once I was on his broad back, holding on to his neck, Hoseok rose into the sky, his beautiful wings lifting us easily off the ground. Within moments, we were soaring through the sky, the sun sinking slowly behind us, turning the blue sky into shades of red, orange, and yellow so beautiful that it made my breath hitch in my throat.

Within moments, we were landing in the valley of the Daybreak Mountains. There was a cloud of black and red smoke then Hoseok was standing in front of me again, his bright red hair shimmering in the setting sun. His black wings folded backwards, the shimmering edges hanging just barely off the ground. He really was one of the most stunning men I had ever seen in my life. I wanted to ask him about last night, about the kiss we shared, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bring it up without the fear of rejection overtaking me. What if it was a mistake? What if he didn't mean it? What if he was just happy because his wing had been repaired and he was going home? I just didn't know and the idea of him not feeling the same about me terrified me more than I wanted to admit.

Hoseok took a step toward me and although I wanted to kiss him again, tell him I had fallen for him, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. He went to speak, but I broke in before he could say anything. "Um... I... I guess I better head home. Thank you so much for accompanying me on this journey. It... it was a lot easier to have you with me."

The small smile that was on Hoseok's lips disappeared and he nodded at me. "Well thank you... thank you for letting me come with you and for convincing the Dark Wizard to help us. Without you, I don't... I don't think I would have ever gotten my wing fixed."

Unable to stop myself, I reached out and gave Hoseok a hug, relishing the feeling of being in his arms one more time. "I'm going... I'm going to miss you Fireball."

Hoseok smiled wryly at me, but it didn't reach his eyes. "I'm going to miss you too sweetheart."

I kissed his cheek and stepped back, my heart screaming at me to speak. Tell him. Tell him you love him. Tell him you want to stay with him. Tell him you will figure things out. Just say it. I pushed the voice to the back of my mind and went to turn, wanting that one last glimpse of him before I walked away from him, before I broke my own heart because I was too afraid to admit anything to him. Because I was too afraid to ask him about last night, ask him what everything meant.

"Y/N?" I turned back at Hoseok's voice, the hope rising in my heart. "Um... be careful, okay?"

My heart deflated like a bursting balloon. "Oh. Okay. Of course." I turned and began to make my way down the path that led from the Daybreak Mountains. Just before I crossed the border, I could see a crowd off in the distance, heading this direction. From the loud chatter, the swords they were raising in the air, and the torches, I knew instantly where they were headed.