Chapter 11

A sweet giggle woke me up the next morning and I opened my eyes to see Jimin still snuggled in my lap, a pale light filled the grove and I figured it must be just after dawn. I looked around to see what Jimin was laughing about and noticed one hand in his hair and the other draped over his chest in a loose embrace.

"Good morning my darling," he said in his sweet voice. "I didn't know you wanted to be that close to me."

I yanked my hand away from his head and pushed him off my lap. "Oh shut it fairy. You're the one who slept in my lap," I said, waving a hand at him.

Jimin pouted for a second but then a smile crossed his face. "Yes but you let me," he said, his voice smug.

I rolled my eyes and pushed myself to my feet, noticing that Hoseok and Jin were missing.

Jimin saw my look of confusion and gestured toward the opposite side of the grove. "Fireball and Wings are over there. They are getting some fruit and water for the journey. We're going to be passing Vacant River soon and it's not a bright idea to get too close to that water," Jimin explained.

I snickered at Jimin's nicknames for Hoseok and Jin. Jimin turned at the sound and gave me a bright smile. He reached out a hand for me. I gave it a slap and headed over towards the other two members of our group. I didn't miss Jimin's pout, but decided to ignore it.

"Good morning sweet girl," Jin said as we approached. "Did you sleep well?"

I nodded. "Surprisingly well. I didn't think I would be able to," I replied. I noticed the almost guilty look on Jin's face immediately. "Did you have something to do with that?"

Jin faltered then nodded. "It was just a simple enchantment to help clear your mind. I knew you wouldn't be able to sleep well without it," he explained, his eyes downcast. "Please forgive me for the enchantment. I shouldn't have done that without your permission."

I stepped forward and wrapped an arm around the distraught angel. "It's okay Jin. It really is. Thank you for that," I said, giving him a smile.

Jin hesitated then wrapped both arms around me in a hug. "Thank you sweet girl," he said, his voice soft.

I felt a tug on my hand and turned to see Hoseok. "Let's go Sparky," he said, pulling me away from Jin. "We need to get moving."

"You're right," I said, agreeing with Hoseok. I pulled my hand from his and took a step away. "I need to get to the Dark Wizard and there is still such a long way to go."

Jin held up a gold bag. "The dragon and I collected some fruits for our journey. It should get us past the Vacant River and almost to the Departed Castle. We definitely do not want to have to stop there," Jin said with a delicate shudder.

"Thank you both for doing that," I said with a smile. Hoseok nodded and Jin smiled, waving a hand for us to follow him out of the grove. We stepped out of the grove and I turned to give it one last look, but it was gone. I turned to Jin in surprise.

"Pretty cool protection, huh?" Jin asked, a smug smile on his face.

I nodded my head, completely baffled. It looked like an empty field. There was no sign of the fruit filled trees, the plush grass, or the refreshing pond.

Jimin nodded. "Pretty cool spell Wings," he said, his voice impressed, but tinged with a hint of bitterness.

I took Jimin's hand and squeezed his fingers, getting a small smile from him. I knew the sweet fairy was missing his powers. Seeing Jin use his must have been like a slap in the face. "It's okay Jimin. We're going to get your powers and wings back," I said. "We're going to make it there."

I went to release Jimin's hand, but he tightened his grip. I sent him a questioning luck. "Please. Just for a little while," he said, his voice soft and pleading. I paused but then nodded my head. Jimin smiled and intertwined our fingers.

Jin came up to my side and took my other hand. "Please allow me to escort you as well sweet girl," he said, his voice gentle.

I heard a faint hiss behind me and turned to see Hoseok's face flushed in irritation. "You okay Hoseok?" I asked.

Hoseok nodded. "Just dandy. Let's get moving," he said, his voice tight.

I eyed him for a second, but he wasn't giving anything up. I shook my head to clear it and tugged Jimin and Jin along the path. The path was line with fields of strange looking corn. It looked the same as normal corn, but it was bright neon pink. I pointed it out and asked Jin about it.

Jin smiled at me. "It's the corn that the crows that live out here eat. It's extremely bitter and has a most awful taste," he explained.

Jimin piped in. "The Vivid Crows like the bitterness of it," he said, pointing to a group of birds, sitting in the field. I was surprised at the colors: one was lime green, one was a lemon yellow, and the other was a fluorescent orange. The only crows I had seen in my woods were black as night.

Jimin laughed at my look of surprise. "I forget that you're from the area surrounding the North Woods. You're probably used to seeing the animals but in their regular forms. These forms are almost... enchanted," he said, trying to find the right words.

Jin looked at him in surprise. "How do you know about the animals here?" he asked.

Jimin gave a small delicate shrug. "I'm an animal fairy," he said simply.

Hoseok let out a snicker and I turned around and glared at him. "What?" he asked innocently. "I figured Sparkles was a candy fairy or a beauty fairy. Something like that since he's so..." Hoseok waved his hands at Jimin, trying to find the right words. "Fancy, I guess."

Jimin turned to Hoseok, his eyes angry. "Look Fireball. Just because I'm a fairy, doesn't mean I'm weak. You'd be surprised how strong I actually am," he said.

Hoseok shrugged and inspected his nails as though bored. "Sure Sparkles," he said.

I dropped Jimin's hand and looked at both of them. "I am not going to spend this whole time listening to the two of you argue," I said. "Either be nice to each and stop the bickering or Seokjin and I will continue without you."

Jimin's smile dropped and Hoseok's fists clenched at his sides. "You are not going alone with the angel," Hoseok said. Jimin nodded agreeing with him.

"Then pull yourselves together," I snapped out, dropping Jin's hand and hurrying on ahead, leaving the trio behind. The boys must have decided to let me cool off for a minute since I didn't hear anything behind me for a short while.

I followed the path, the sound of quiet conversation and soft footsteps behind me the only indication that there was anyone behind me still. The path wound closer to the river and I could see the clear water begin to turn murky. We must be at Vacant River I thought to myself as I watched the water change.

I saw a flash of bright blue on the edge of the bank. It appeared to be a large fish of some sort caught in the reeds. The tail was flapping frantically and I began to feel bad for the poor thing. I looked back and noticed the boys were occupied in their conversation.

I veered off the path and headed down the bank. I hesitated when I heard Hoseok's voice say my name in quiet concern then a little louder. I made it to the bank and reached for the tail. I released it from the reeds and watched the bright blue dive deeper under the water. I felt myself slipping on the muddy bank before toppling headfirst into the river.

The murky water covered my head and I went to push myself to the surface when I felt a grip on my ankle. I struggled but the most beautiful sound filled my ears. It was a soft sweet musical voice that filled my ears and I never wanted it to stop. My eyes began to close as my lungs began to give out. The last thing I saw before I succumbed to the darkness was a flash of bright blue hair.