|| 31 ||

The next week flew by in a buzz of activities. Naina had a lot on her plate, apart from the office related work, the wedding in the building too kept her very busy. And then Sameer had to travel for a couple of days to assess the setup of a prospective supplier.

They were talking on the phone one night after his return from the trip, when Sameer asked "So, I will see you on Sunday at home?" Naina pondered on his question warily for a few moments and then replied, "I was thinking... maybe we can meet somewhere else. Maybe grab some lunch outside." He replied amicably "Sure. Wherever you want to go, it's fine. Do you have a good restaurant in mind?"

When nothing jumped to her mind, Naina told him she would think of something and let him know the next day.

* * *

Sunday, about lunch time, they were standing outside a restaurant that had been highly recommended by a few of her colleagues. As it turned out, the place was sought after, and Sameer and Naina had been standing in the queue for close to twenty minutes.

He asked probably for the third time "Are you sure they don't take reservations?" Naina retorted "Sameer, I have already told you that I tried to make a reservation when I called to check their timings. But I was informed that they don't!" Looking at the families standing in the queue along with them, he asked quizzically "And many of your colleagues have recommended this place for a date?"

She shushed him immediately "Don't call it that!" He looked very confused "Don't call what what??" Naina looked at the family standing in front of them. The old lady with that family had been casting suspicious looks at them ever since they arrived. Lowering her voice, Naina whispered "Don't say the word D A T E!" Sameer sounded incredulous "But why not call it what it is??" She flushed a little "Well... whatever it is, we don't need to advertise it, right?"

Advertise it?? What the hell is she talking about? Why would anyone looking at us – standing without holding hands... forget holding hands... standing at a distance of a meter from each other... think that we are dating?! He fumed on the inside.

Feeling like he was that the end of his patience, Sameer muttered "Well the food better be out of this world!" She glared at him for a few seconds before directing her annoyed gaze at the vendor selling green mangoes - Out of this world?? Does he not realise that we are standing outside a family restaurant in Ahmedabad?? I was a fool to suggest that we head out for lunch... Next time, I will tell him to first eat potatoes cooked by Champa and then meet me!

Both subjected the other to the silent treatment for the next few minutes as they inched their way to the front of the queue.

As they were shown to a small table, Sameer looked around with mounting astonishment – A date at a Thali restaurant overflowing with families? And here I was, dreaming of a leisurely cosy romantic rendezvous!

All the tables were filled with zealous diners. The staff donning a maroon uniform moved around with large multi compartment brass pots swiftly serving the customers.

Families were nosily chatting as the kids excitedly sampled the variety of dishes on offer. The women looked very happy at being served for a change! While the men bore a satisfied smile that they had fulfilled their duty to provide the expected periodic family outing.

No sooner had they been seated than the head staff arrived and enquired which type of thali would they like – Regular or Deluxe. Deluxe was deemed the right choice by Naina and hence two of those were ordered. Immediately a platoon of waiters started arriving and heaping their plates with a seemingly endless number of curries and side dishes.