|| 8 ||

19th May 1994

The next morning, when Sameer walked into the breakfast room, Nanaji had finished his breakfast and was sipping on his second cup of tea while reading the newspaper. He pondered on Naina's absence at breakfast, while his coffee was served, wondering if she was still cross at him.

Finishing breakfast, they headed to the foyer. Shambhu, who was idly chatting with one of the servants, rushed to fetch the car. As they waited, Sameer saw her walking towards them, chatting with one of the palace staff, holding a bunch of flowers. Though she was dressed in a simple dark green shalwar–kameez, she was wrapped in the allure of a forest nymph. Once close by, Naina greeted them both with a smile and shared that she had been chatting to the gardener, who had been kind enough to pluck some flowers for her.

Nanaji climbed into the front as decided the previous evening. The drive to the main palace which was just under half an hour, was completed in almost silence, with just the occupants of the front seat exchanging a few sentences.

Though the backseat passengers made an outward show of being too focused on the scenery outside the car, they were both engrossed in thoughts of each other.

Naina was still more than a little shaken and agonising, Did he catch me watching him last night? Oh God! What will I say if he asks me?! Sameer was a tad bit confused, not knowing what she expected of him. Should I just pretend like nothing has happened, or should I apologise for making her feel uncomfortable?

The main palace was a grandiose structure. Naina slipped into the shoes of a tourist, as they were welcomed and then shown around by one of the senior staff. Part of this palace had been converted in a heritage hotel, while some parts were preserved just for viewing. If Dasi Mahal was impressive, this one was many times more so. It was clear, this palace had been built to house the royalty.

Once the formal tour was completed, they were free to explore by themselves. Sameer took some photos as he walked around, fighting hard against the temptation to include her in some of the frames.

His eyes spotted her standing by herself, looking at some oversized portraits of kings and queens now long gone.  He decided that he was being plain stupid, for letting their little argument from the evening before become an issue between them. Approaching her, he silently stood next to her for a few moments before saying "Hey, I am sorry about last night. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

She rushed to reply "It's okay. You weren't wrong... I mean, not wrong in what you said." He asked uncertainly "In what I said??" She fumbled "Well... about people seeing what could be seen. Just because, someone sees something, doesn't mean they are being a pervert... right?"

Sameer nodded along thinking, What has brought about this sudden change in her stance of last night? See, I was right all along! not realising that, this was actually her way of excusing her own behaviour of watching him after his swim!

Noting she was standing in front of a portrait of a young man, he chuckled softly "Well, I suppose he is definitely the better looking one amongst them, considering he seems the youngest. Were you admiring him??" 

Her expression turned solemn, thinking he must died young if this was his last portrait. Finding the thought too hard to dwell on, she dragged her gaze away form the young man's handsome features to the majestic dog sitting at his feet. 

"If you must know... I was admiring the artist's skill. The the dog looks so real! You an almost imagine him bark. And his fur... every hair has been so precisely painted! Makes me want to hug it tightly and bury my face in his fur!" As she uttered the words, Naina felt rather surprised at her own reaction. She had never considered herself much of an animal lover. So, where had been sudden urge to hug the dog come from??