|| 9 ||

19th May 1994

Once again it was decided that everyone would rest for the afternoon and head out in the evening for a drive.

Not in the habit of ever sleeping during the day, Naina tossed and turned in her bed for a bit. Then deciding to explore more of the palace grounds, she headed out with a book in her hand.

She strolled through the lemon orchard that the gardener had pointed out to her earlier in the day. The air was heavy with the aroma of the ripe yellow fruit and the white flowers on the trees. Few bees were buzzing around. She picked a few lemons lying on the ground and carried them in a makeshift pouch of her dupatta, happily thinking, I will ask Maa to make my favourite sweet quick pickle. There is something so satisfying about picking free fruit, even if it costs just a rupee in the market!

Sameer stood by his window, listening to some rock music with his headphones on. He tried to shake off the guilt thinking, What's the big deal if I fantasise about her a little?! She doesn't have a clue. So, no harm done! A small voice whined, Because, this is not what you usually do... fantasying about random girls of your acquaintance.

Recalling his grandfather's words from that morning, he wondered if he was really leading her on. But then tried to dissuade himself, It's not like I have been trying to entrap her. Also for all I know, she probably has a boyfriend and isn't even available! Though, he did not find this line of thinking as agreeable as hoped.

I wish she had been wearing a saree today... would have loved to see that chain wrapped around her bare waist! Once again his mind was full of some not so innocent images. He groaned inwardly as his body started responding in earnest. Had it not been so hot, he would have considered burning off some of his extra energy in the pool, he thought glancing it that direction.

As if though, occupying just his thoughts wasn't enough, there she was by the pool!

Naina was in the process of pulling one of the deck chairs in the shade of a huge umbrella. For a moment he wondered with mounting anticipation, was she out for a swim? But alas, she placed something on the ground and then settled on the chair, the umbrella now completely obstructing his view.

Naina had been happily lost in her book for close to half an hour, when she heard someone clear his throat.

Sameer stood close by, now changed in a pair of dark grey shorts and a sleeveless white t-shirt with a print comprising of a strange demonic skull with long horns and vicious teeth. The handsome devil all set to entice some innocent soul... the thought darted across her mind.

She was surprised to see him there, but was even more flabbergasted by the image on his t-shirt. She tilted her head side to side trying to make some sense of the logo and then asked "What sort of weird design is this?!"

He shrugged his shoulders as he pulled another chair close to hers "It's the logo for Motorhead. It's a heavy metal band." She scrunched her nose "Oh, you mean one of those people who claim to make music, when in reality the listener is only bound to go deaf?" He snickered "Well, I can see your taste in music runs very shallow... or should I be nice and call it mainstream?"

She bristled, but putting on a fake extra sweet tone said "Please don't tell me that you have interrupted my solitude just to spite my taste in music." "Milady, my sincere apologies for breeching your fortress of solitude." he mocked back. Seeing that the reference was lost on her, he pulled on his aviators and leaned back in the chair.

Having run out of things to banter about, at least momentarily, both fell silent.

Naina went back to reading her book, or the pretence of it.