|| 5 ||

18th May 1994

After travelling for some time, Jaiprakashji asked the driver to stop for tea. Shambhu parked the car outside a place called Krishna Snacks assuring them that it was a place he had frequented before and was clean.

Sameer stretched his legs for a couple of minutes and then sat at one of the tables in the patio. His eyes wandered around taking in the ambience. There were a few potted plants scattered around. A black cat was lazing to one side, trying to stay out of the sun. The day was starting to heat up.

His gaze handed on Naina who was muttering something to a parrot that was in a cage hanging almost in the centre of the patio. She had got hold of a green chilli and was trying to coax the parrot into taking a bite. The way she stood, was presenting him with her left-side profile; a very clear view of her bare waist and stomach and also parts of her curves on the top. Nice... he thought.

She remained oblivious to his perusal for a minute or so, till her sixth sense kicked in and she abruptly turned in his direction. As she comprehended the direction of his gaze, she coloured and bristled in indignation. Quickly pulling the saree pallu around herself, she walked towards the table that Shambhu kaka was occupying. Sameer chuckled internally.

His grandfather joined him soon and the server brought over their cold drinks. The elder man remarked "I am glad we decided to take this trip. I know, I haven't spent enough time with you as hoped for." Sameer muttered "Its ok Nanu. I understand it's been very hectic at work for you." Nanaji responded sounding apologetic "Work never ends my dear boy... But one should make time for family. Especially, when you've agreed to this visit to India. Well, let's make the most of the next few days!" Sameer nodded.

Once they resumed their drive, Sameer pulled out a book, while Nanaji made some small talk with the driver about how long he had been working for the tour company and how frequently he travelled in these parts.

Nanaji then turned his attention to Naina and asked her "Where about do you live in Ahmedabad?" She replied "Sir, I actually live in Khed." He nodded knowing that a lot of people from surrounding smaller towns or villages commuted to Ahmedabad on a daily basis for work.

She looked fairly young to be working and spoke English rather well for someone from Khed. He was intrigued "So, how are you finding the daily commute? Is it not too exhausting?" She smiled "I am used to the commute. I have done my entire schooling in Ahmedabad and attend college there as well." He could easily understand why she was attending a college in Ahmedabad, but wondered why her parents had chosen to send her to a school in another town all these years and enquired "Oh... Which school did you attend?" She replied, "Mount Carmel."

He was perplexed, if she went to that school she must be from a well-off family, so why was she working? And how was her family okay with her going on work trips like this? Was she very adamant that she wanted to do this? But then again, sometimes he just couldn't understand what this new generation thought! Nevertheless, he asked "So, what does your father do?"

Naina understood his confusion, she had been met with it on numerous occasions before. It did not bother her any longer. She clarified "Sir, my father passed away when I was very small. I live with my mother and Nani in Khed. After my Nanaji passed away too, my mother realised that she had to start working. It was hard finding a job, as she had never finished her graduation. Luckily my grandfather's ex-employer was able to pull some strings and helped her find a job in a school. My mother works in Mount Carmel's admin department and hence I was granted admission under the staff quota."

She wasn't sure why, but she found herself opening up to this elderly man very easily. Personal information that she would have never shared with another client, just seemed to effortlessly flow from her lips. He seemed genuinely interested.